79 front Master Cylinder

20190122_103050.jpg
Those were Emgo Euro bend handlebars which are a tad narrow. The master cylinder is a stock 78E . That was a fun feeling setup and there was good rear view visibility with those Napolean bar end mirrors and large custom grip addition.

All right. Got the M/C apart, even the plastic reservoir as instructed in another thread. Got everything all clean and tidy. But man, the big "O" ring under the plastic reservoir is as shot as a 40 year old "O" ring can be. The PO put some kind of goop between the parts by turning but not removing the reservoir to keep brake fluid from leaking, which didn't work BTW.

I tried looking around for the correct one and have gotten nowhere. So now, does anybody have a new spare "O" ring they can throw in an envelope and mail to me. I'll be glad to flow a few bucks your way.

Anyone? Any leads on where I can get one?

Mine is no longer round, it's square. And it is frayed, narley, rotted, and has long since decomposed into something that is not rubber.
It's just weird that all over the net everybody sells that M/C rebuild kit and no one includes that "O" ring.

So here is why if you are rebuilding the brake system on your XS you don't want to even think about reusing the old rubber parts. Top is what came out, bottom is what went in.

View attachment 1386 27[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-8_19-21-52.png
    upload_2019-4-8_19-21-52.png
    1 MB · Views: 141
Fork (any) oil does that to brake rubber. If they haven't had an oil bath, the rubber parts are often good for another round.

You might not need rebuild kits. The stock parts are pretty durable. Often just a tear down, cleaning and reassemble is all they need.
Having the kits just in case isn't a bad idea though.
Leo

Back