79 special cam and rocker arm ?

Courtney Gubler

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Im having a hard time finding a cam, this is the cam I pulled is it useable or a no go and does anyone know where I can get a good cam. I am also looking to pick up a set of rocker arms mine are shot mikesxs is out of stock. Thanks
My bike is a 79 special.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 221
That cam is SHOT! You should be able to find a good cam on ebay. I have a set of usable rocker arms I would be willing to sell. Now on to the larger issue, you appear to have a lack or diminished capacity of oiling to the head. You probably need to look at your oil pump and filters for obstructions along with the passsages for the oil to the head including the fitting that the oil feed tube attaches to. If you do not correct the underlying cause you wil have the same thing happen to your new parts. A little history on the motor would be good. It may be time to dig into the bottom end and check the bearings and rods for damage or excessive wear because based on what you are showing there you may have more issues to deal with.

As far as cams go all the 74 up cams are the same. Any of these cams will fit your engine fine.
If you get rockers arms try to get the matching rocker shafts too. The arm and shaft wear together and should be kept together.
You fight find a rocker box with good rocker arms in it for a good price. Then just swap them into your rocker box.
As ippy mentioned you should inspect your oil passages and such for any blockages.
Leo

Thanks for the info guys I will check the oil filters right now. I can only hope I don't have to dig into the lower end. Ippity how much for the rocker arms and do you have the rocker shaft also.

I checked the filter they where pretty bad the oil was caked thick on the drain plug and the plate that holds the sump filter. There where metal shavings and a couple pieces big enough to not call shavings. Filters where really bad any chance I replace the filters run good oil threw it Ill get some good use from it. What do you think guys. Ippy let me know what up with the rocker arms.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 231
If you have the extra cash and want to upgrade your cam and rockers, Shop at Webcamshafts.com and upgrade your core camshaft and rockers.

That filter looks normal to me never hurts to look at the pump. How did the side filter look? If I had a head that looked oil starved I would remove and check the orifice found in the adapter at the base of the oil feed tube in front of the cylinders. Be very careful removing and especially installing the tube, the threads in the the crankcase there are a bit delicate. Always use two wrenches when tightening the tube nut.
Was a PO an RTV monster? Loose wads of silicone wandering around inside an engine blocking oil passages can cause the kind of damage you see.

I agree with gggGary on the filter. It looks like most with out much care look like. The tear can be patched after a good cleaning. A bit of a search will find a lot on how to.
I have several sump plates with patched filters mounted on them. I have several side cover filters too. When I change the oil it is easy to just swap a clean for a dirty. Makes the oil change quick and easy. I then clean the dirty at night or on a rainy day.
Leo

Thanks guys this is where I am, I pulled the side cover looked at what I believe is the so called oil pump, beats me how it works. Let me make sure we are talking the same thing it looks like it drives the tac on the side cover and when you pull it apart it has what looks like a star with a little arrow. If that's right I pulled the parts cleaned it and the tunnel or tube next to it. No blockages where found. Next up the small nut the oil pipe screws into thanks for the heads up on not over tightening. Also I was having trouble putting the side cover back on, looked like the kick start was keeping it from closing. I might of pulled it out a little when I removed the case is there a trick to this. Thanks again guys your helping me a lot.

Yes, that's your oil pump. The big gear on the pump engages a small gear on the crank when the cover is installed.
When you have it apart there are a few things to check. The clearance between the inner and outer rotors, the clearance between the outer rotor and body of the pump and the side clearance between the rotors and body.
There are specs for these clearances, I just can't find them right now.
To get the kick start shaft in right the procedure in the repair manual works well. And yes if it's not seated right it can keep the cover from going on. Also the oil pump drive has to be right too. Once you get the kick start end in you need to wiggle the oil pump end around till it drops in place. If not you can break the gears on the oil pump and bend the shaft in the pump.
Leo

Guys thanks for your help I went threw the pump and the oil pipe found nothing. Last thing I checked was the banjo bolt on the crank case,this is what I found below the hole on bolt. Looked like a gremlin took a turd. I have a feeling this caused my problem. I pulled it out with tweezers it wasn't metal I don't know what it was other than a headache.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Back