'80 xs650 rear disc brake conversion

leonardsxs650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
i've been pondering "trying" to replace my rear drum brake with a disc brake, but have no idea where to start. i'm not afraid to put a little blood, sweat, and tears into it, but is it worth the conversion? if so, what parts (caliper, disc, etc.) are recommended for the build?

I did my '80 a while back. Here's what you will need:

A disc brake rear wheel, also the right side spacers or a way to make some.
The rear disc.
The caliper and its mounting bracket.
The brake hose.
The master cylinder.
The reservoir and its hose.
The pivot for the rear brake pedal (that's the splined piece that goes through the frame)

There is some welding. The drum brake rear brake stay rod can be used but it has to be shortened.

The stay rod bracket needs to be moved to the top of the swingarm. It can be left on the bottom and the caliper hung upside down but that makes bleeding the brakes a real chore.

The brackets for the brake hose need to be added to the swing arm.

Two 8mm ID tubes need to be welded to the frame reinforcement above the swingarm pivot point. These are the mount point for the rear master cylinder.

Tabs need to be added to the frame to mount the reservoir.

I added a brake pedal return spring so I welded a bracket to the underside of the frame. While I was at it, I added an adjustable brake pedal stop.

The pivot from a disc brake bike has the hole for the pin in a different place than the drum brake setup. If you are not afraid of cutting and drilling, the drum brake pivot can be modified to work with the master cylinder, that saves having to find a new pivot.

Is it worth it? I like disc brakes overall mostly because they self adjust, are not prone to heat fade and take less effort to stop the bike, but on the rear it's sort of a personal preference thing. That's because 70% of the stopping power comes from the front, the rear is sort of just along for the ride. I did mine mainly because it's a street tracker and disc brakes are part of the 'look'.

Easy part is replacing the swingarm and rear wheel and brake caliper and brake stay with the stock parts. Hard part is modifying the frame or the rear master cylinder. It's just WAY easier to start with a rear disc model to begin with.

i appreciate the input. still debating whether or not i want to. i do like the look, but i'm not sure it would fit in with the rest of my bike.. maybe the next build i do!

I did it on my 1974 Sreet Tracker.... pictures in another thread

I purchased a wrecked special so I used the swing arm etc from it

Machined up 2 half round mild steel spacers bolted them to an old master cylinder to get spacing right
installed the brake pedal and rod to the master ...clamped on the master with the spacers and welded it to the frame

Took a tip from pregrids thread and drilled and tapped the frame for the brake return spring

I was dreading this but pre planned it was an easy conversion

This way I got a 19 inch ( using Omars stuff) rear disc like a real tracker

Cheers

Paul

Back