81 Heritage Special

The spoked 16 inch rear wheel was If I recall right a one year thing. 79 Special II.
They used a mag disc brake rear 16 wheel for a couple years mid 78-80. In 81 they went back to a drum brake mag wheel. In 82 up they used a rear drum with a 16 inch 64 spoke wheel with a 48 spoke front wheel.
Before 78 all the rear wheels were 18 inch spoked drum brakes.
Leo

Heritage special has the "disco" 64 spoke front, 48 spoke 16" drum rear chrome rim wheels (I like them). Special II 80-81 had 16 rear drum spoke chrome rim wheels 79 Special II had 16" drum spoke alloy rim rear wheel, one year only.

Can't say for the '80 but I've got an '81 Yamaha XS650 Factory Service Manual in front of me and it shows XS650H with spokes (36, I think) disc front, drum rear and XS650SH with cast mags disc front and drum rear.

I just got an '81 650SH especially for the cast rear wheel with drum. I prefer the look of spokes but really want to go tubeless tires on the XS I'm putting together now as I plan for it to be a keeper.

And like gggary said, both my '83 SKs have the disco wheels. Took me forever to true one of those 64 spoke wheels one day last week.

Back