'82 Heritage special wheel swap & swingarm question.

jasonslackisrad

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

An absolute WEALTH of info on here. But in my searching for my question have come across quite a few conflicting answers.

My question is this, I have an 82 Heritage Special with 16" rear wheel and the ugly billion spokes.

I am looking to swap that setup out for 18" Rear & 19" front spoked wheels. Do I need to swap the swingarm as well to do this? Some say you do, some say it will just work.

Im probably going to slowly mod this thing in a street tracker minimalist style and the 16" rear doesn't work for me.

Thanks!

It's easier to go from 16" to 18" on the rear than 18" to 16" .....swap away. The multi-spokes were a 2 year feature in the states and are highly desireable by some.

The difference in swapping out is the 16" has a chaingaurd and brake stay rod that are shaped to allow clearance for the wider tire, so no problem putting an 18" on.

Yup it's plug and play. I happen to like the 48 spoke heritage set up. mikesXS offers an 18" rim and spoke set to fit the Heritage hub. about $160 on sale now LOL

Here's what gggGary was talking about - 18 inch dia rear. Front is 21 inch dia.
:bike:

Attachments

• 27Jul2012_1.jpg
    27Jul2012_1.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 433
Oh I like that! Who built it?
I did, or more accurately, I am - still a "work in process". More pic's of some of the mod's I've made in album entitled "Redleg's '82 Heritage Special". Still needs side covers, which will be made from polished aluminum stock, and new exhaust - haven't decided yet whether 2-into-1 or 2-into-2.

Back