'82 motor into an '81 frame

whynot2

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
For several reasons I decide to take my '81 motor out of the frame. I installed a '82 that had been rebuilt and shows evidence that it had run since rebuild. It haas been sitting for 15 + years so I used the '81's stock electrics, rotor, stator, RR, black box, etc. The '81 was running, the '82 is not turning over with starter nor showing any spark when I kick it over. I only unplugged 3 plugs and checked those. I've checked everything I might have disturbed. I have lights, and horn. Nothing from the engine. Before I go out there again I like to rule out any inherent differences in the '82's safety mechanisms which might be at play. Any thoughts?
Thanks, whynot2

The 82's safety mechanisms will have stayed with the 82's frame and electrics. If you just swapped out bare bones engine for engine there should be no issues. Break out the volt/ohm meter and start tracking her down. Something's not connected.

Standing in the dark of my garage I thought, " now is the time to check for spark". And so I did, and they were beautiful. This was after a day of probing and finding nothing. The next morning I rolled it out of the garage, still with no neutral light or electric starter, I kicked it three times and it roared to life and settled into a nice idle. The neutral light was lit, and after turning the key off, the electric starter worked well. Cool ! Right? Well After the bike cooled enough to work on it again, I put everything else back on. This time no neutral light and no electric starter. Hmmm. I'm getting 12 volts at the neutral switch with the key on, still no light and still no electric starter. It's more annoying than a deal breaker, but that starter sounded so good I'd like to hear it again. Any thoughts?
Whynot2

Check battery and especially ground cables. I'm pretty sure if you remove clean and check each cable end for corrosion you'll find the culprit.You move, remove nearly all the engine, charging, ignition related grounds during a swap. If the original fuse box is still in use suspect it as well. The fuses and fuse holders both frequently die of old age.

Thanks for the advise. The fuse box is original and still works, unlike the one I had in the '80 SG. Everything I took apart I sanded or filed or both before putting back together, except for the the bottom motor mount bolt. Everything else is shiny. I could live with "kick only" for a while, but there are too many oil leaks that can't be dealt with in the frame, so I swapped it out for my third spare. The neutral light works fine and the electric starter starts it fine. The starter / neutral light issue left with the "82 motor.

prolly related, the starter will only spin if the neutral switch is closed OR the clutch is pulled in.

Back