A change of heart - tracker to cafe conversion

unclesol

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have been MIA here for a while, but not inactive :wink2:
You might remember that my introduction to the XS was a botched Street Tracker, whose PO had never managed to get running. Before...

screen shot pc

I de-bugged it (ignition and carbs), then rode it for a while, and discovered it was not my style. So, back to the drawing board, and off came the body parts, etc.
Long story short, here is what I ended up with...

screen capture windows

studio screenshot

Obviously, a lot of changes from end to end, including switching back to Akront aluminum 18" rims, dual floating discs up front, and stainless lines all around. Re-used the Omar's kit from the mags on a second front hub to make the back wheel work, along with a set of NOS Red Wing Hammerhead shocks to keep things under control.

A new pipe from Gordon Scott Engineering, and a set of mid-set controls, rounded out the project.
Like Osteoderm, I also picked a tank from the old Suzuki Titan, and after a lot of stripping, sanding and touching up with the spot putty, it was finally straight enough to paint. The finish is a 3 stage process, that is supposed to end up looking like chrome, but I "dulled it down" a bit, and I think the "weathered" result looks like it is about the right vintage...

pc screen shot

The seat required some extra frame work at the back end, since it had been chopped off to accept the Omar's seat, so a "ladder" was added back there to support the Airtech Streamlining seat. Still deciding on the long term treatment for the upholstery, but for now just sitting on the foam :bike:

I have lots more pictures, if anyone's interested, but have to get back to work now, so I can pay for all this fun :wink2:

Last edited:
Holy customs, Batman!

You went from absolutely gorgeous to ...???... absolutely gorgeous!

Excellent example of the versatility of these machines in the hands of skilled craftsmen.

That is one kick ass looking bike. My next project is going to be a cafe for sure, I found an old suzuki tank that is shaped a bit different but I think it might fit the bill. Again very nice bike.

Look's great unc. The color looks like brushed aluminum. Very nice. Will the tire hit the plate at full compression?

Last edited:
Back