A Tale Of 2 XSs and 2 Questions

ReycleBill

Part Time Tyrannicide
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Question 1.
I have 2 matching 1983 XS650 Heritage Specials with stock factory BS 34 carbs-- the tin top variety. I call them, Nothin' Special and Grubby Bitch.

When I set the choke on Nothin' Special she goes up to high idle (2500 RPM) until I release the choke. If I set the choke part way the idle goes up but not as high. Choke off, she idles at 1200 RPM.

Grubby Bitch does not have a high idle no matter where I set the choke but the choke seems to work okay anyway. She also idles at 1200 RPM.

Both bike crank right up, no problem?

Which is correct-- high idle with choke set or no high idle at all? Both bikes run great though Grubby Bitch seems to be a bit faster.

Question 2.

I recently replaced the carb mounts on Nothin' Special with a pair from JBM Industries and I love 'em. They replaced a 2 week old set from Mike's when Mike's vacuum tube fell out and the JBMs solved my carb issues. Problem is: with no vacuum tube I am unable to hook up a manometer or my fancy set of dual vacuum gauges. I eyeballed the butterflies before I put the carbs back on the bike, used Popsicle sticks and have gotten her really, really close but as I'm shooting for perfect I'm wondering if there's a mod that will allow me to hook up vacuum lines to my 34s without going back to the other kind of carb holders?

Or should I just tune by ear using the dead cylinder trick?

A normally running, slightly lean to normal engine should rev up on choke but smell a little rich and sound 'boggy' while running.

lots of scenarios as to why the other bike doesn't rev up. timing a little retarded maybe, already running rich perhaps... maybe the choke is busted.

No I don't know what boggy sounds like - ... like a 'fat' sound at the exhaust. (and you can smell it)

A normally running, slightly lean to normal engine should rev up on choke but smell a little rich and sound 'boggy' while running.

lots of scenarios as to why the other bike doesn't rev up. timing a little retarded maybe, already running rich perhaps... maybe the choke is busted.

No I don't know what boggy sounds like - ... like a 'fat' sound at the exhaust. (and you can smell it)

That takes care of question #1, thanks! :bike:

You can add barbs to your manifolds. The manifolds I got several years ago had no barbs. I removed the barbs from my old manifolds and installed them in the new ones.

Back