Adjustments for running open pipes?

BCoop

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've had my 1975 xs650 for a week now. This is my first motorcycle and I am still getting used to releasing the clutch. I took the pipe ends off and a buddy of mine jetted the carbs to a bigger size. Now when I try to slowly release the clutch it spitter spatters and bogs a bit then takes off. It seems that when I let the clutch out there's no point that it slowly engages allowing me to walk forward with the bike. It's very jerky when it does engage even if I am fluent and even with my gas and clutch. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

What are you doing with your right hand? How much throttle given is dependent on your own clutch setting. You should be able to find the spot where you can just get the bike to move forward and yet hold it in place. This is the spot where you control your throttle on how fast you are going to "take off" when the clutch is fully let go. It is normal for the rpm's to drop at this point because the motor had a "load" just off of the idle. Without more throttle here the bike just might die or " you killed it". That's when you didn't give enough throttle off idle when the clutch is being released. I suggest you practice this a lot before you get on a uphill stop in busy traffic when the person behind you is assuming you are going to go forward when it's green and they hit you from behind. :(

Back