Advance doesnt seem smooth with timing light.

Well crapola! Houston we have a problem. Just removed my float bowl on the other side and discovered.... That there is no needle jet in there :banghead:

Looks like I'm adding more to the order :(

So now I have a bigger problem, your saying the z-6 or no longer available and now I need one, now what? Order a z-8?

Time for a beer I guess, then start looking around for this missing needle jet, I can't believe it!

Good thing, lol. No wonder it ran so bad, lol. You'll notice on the Z-6 (and the Z-8) that the o-ring groove is very close to the flange that hits the carb body when it's fully inserted. With a fresh o-ring, the jet may not want to stay all the way in there. That's OK, when you mount the float bowl, it holds the jet in tight. It pushes against that flange. Put some light lube on the o-ring and mount the float bowl. Next time you take it off, you should find the o-ring has worked its way into the carb body.

If you ever need to replace those o-rings sometime in the future, and sometimes you do, the size is 1mm x 4mm.

Cheers thanks 5twins. I suspect the jet went missing just today when I disposed of the fluid in the bowl, don't believe I ran it like such... I think anyway!

Just went for a rip with 135 mains and needle at position 2 and it still breaks up hard in the midrange. That was my leanest mains so I'll place an order for some leaner options tonight. Thanks guys, to be continued....

If you have any shops near by that cater to dirt bikes, ATVs, or snowmobiles, you may be able to but individual genuine Mikuni jets from them.

Ok, its been a bit since I have updated my progress on this, been on some family adventures and haven't had much time with the bike. So I've been playing around quite a bit over the last few days and after some miles with various tunings I am getting a feel for whats working and whats not with these carbs. Currently I am running 132 mains, 42.5 pilots, needles set in position 1 leanest setting, mixture screws are about 3/4 turns out. This combination is giving me a nice light brown color to my plugs and for all intensive purposes the bike runs fantastic... except during 3/4 throttle rips I am still getting a very slight hesitation as described early in my posts. I was surprised to find that going to needle position 1 actually reduced the hesitation substantially, to the point where it is almost completely gone. If I jump to position 2 or 3 the problem gets noticeably worse. I had another thread going discussing the use of a gas analyzer to help with my tuning and for reference purposes I have found that running a CO content of about 6.5 to 7% is required to avoid lean backing on deceleration. This boggles my mind a bit as in the car world thats considered way to rich but the proof is in the pudding, if I drop it to 5% or lower I get instant backfiring on decel.

So this is where I am at, all my real world first hand experience with this thing is telling me I still need to be a slight pit leaner on my needles but I am at the leanest clip position on my current set, I guess I need to order leaner needles? or is there an alternative way to lean them out? I have tried dropping my main jet to 130 or 127.5 but It doesnt seem to help the mid range hesitation and my full throttle power starts to suffer. Does this make sense? It seems a bit weird considering I'm up 100 cc's on this engine, but I do live in Calgary at 3500 feet so maybe thats factoring it to requiring the leaner fuel mixtures?

Unfortunately, there isn't much in the way of different needles available for these. But they usually aren't required. One is usually able to adequately tune the carbs with the stock needles. It's possible your needle jets are shot, worn larger so now they flow more and are too rich. Now, needle jets don't normally wear out on these because the needle doesn't rub inside the jet as it operates, but if the carbs were badly gummed up at one time and sat that way for a few years, that gas varnish can actually eat away at the jets, enlarging them. The needle jets should look like those pictured in post #17, nice and smooth. If yours have a grainy, textured, sand paper like appearance, they've been eaten away.

So, what options do you have? You can't get replacement short Z-6 needle jets. A Z-2 or Z-8 may work, you'd just need to try it. Another option could be a longer (leaner) needle. The 5O2 needle from the '78-'79 BS38s has a similar taper to your 4N8 but is 4 or 5mm longer. Set as high as it would go should make it about the same length as your 4N8 in it's lowest setting. Another option might be the 5Z1 needle from the late '70s XS400. It is the same length as the 5O2 but has a slightly different taper (sharper at the point). It's a pretty nice swap for the '78-'79 carb sets, giving a bit quicker and sharper low speed and low midrange response .....

KitNeedles.jpg

Thanks Gary, I will pull the needles and needle jets for a close inspection, I don't believe they are worn, I had a pretty good look at them last time they were out and didn't notice anything unusual. Ill take a boo around so see if I can locate any of these other options and give them a try :)

Back