Ahh...The fun and excitement of riding Vintage Motorcycles

Vincenthdfan

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
So last night after work I decided to knock out some automobile chores in my shop.

But, as I walked back and forth between the house and shop I noticed it was becoming increasingly warmer outside and turning out to be a beautiful evening for a ride!

The urge overcame me...I had to go for a ride and it was warm enough to take a windshield-less bike, which one would it be??

The XS-1B of course! It was all fueled up and ready to go from the last fine evening ride we had together.

So I pulled it out, fired it up on the first kick and took off, things were running fantastic, the birds were singing, the old iron was purring....perfect.

I got downtown, a necessary evil to get to the good riding and got stuck at a stop light.

A very longggg stop light...the kind where you have time to sit and fiddle and look around at those around you admiring your old iron sitting there running like a fine Swiss Watch.

Finally, the light turns green, I snick her into first and gently feed her the clutch...

Woah, what the hell!! She slips totally sideways on me like I'm on ice!!

My 46 years of dirt biking experience kick in and I ride the sideways slipping out like I'm on a dirt tracker coming off the line crooked.

Once I get her pointed in the correct direction, I quickly glance over my shoulder and see a large puddle on the ground...what the hell was that and how did I not notice that when I pulled up to the light???!!

Then it dawned on me...oh shit, maybe I'm leaking oil or something??

I finish the turn, not wanting to get run over by the eager motorists behind me that had just witnessed my perfect save at the light.

Pulled into the nearest drug store parking lot and shut her off immediately.

I look down and there it is!

Right hand carb float bowl is over flowing like a big dog all over the ground!!

I surmised it had been doing that the whole time I was siting at the light waiting for it to turn green....so much for the other motorists admiring my "Vintage Iron"!

I'm sure they were looking at me saying "I wonder if that guy knows his bike has something streaming out from underneath it?? UGH!!

So, I immediately tap the bowl to no avail, she's overflowing good still....turn off the right petcock and she stops.

I fire her back up and nurse her homeward, alternately reaching down with my left hand, feeding the right carb gasoline with the petcock through off and on cycles all the way home.

She runs like a champ and gets me home, her wondering all the while why we stopped our ride so short I'm certain.

I put her back in the garage, petcocks off of course, to be troubleshot yet another day...after all, I have automobile maintenance to attend to out the shop right now!

Ah yes, the joys of riding vintage iron...that's why we love them, they're so full of character and fun.

Never a dull moment!! LOL :bike: :thumbsup:

Bet you'll by hyper aware for a while. I haven't been riding as long as most on this forum but I've learned from my bike that she requires constant attention. As soon as I think shes running like a top I'll feel a shutter or misfire or something that reminds me that shes not perfect...and Im not perfect....and shit happens...Always be prepared and aware.

Try to enjoy the weekend...she just wants your attention. Take her out again and she'll treat you right. After you fiddle with her bits a little of course....she likes that too!

Yes, they do like having their bits fiddled, lol.

Yikes! Nice save and without injury (to the bike I mean...I'm sure you'll feel the muscles ache and groan from the tactical maneuvers you were required to do). LOL

And at least it was gas. Oil pouring out like that would have been a whole different story and likely a whole lot worse.

Geee, I can't wait. I cant wait for my rotor to stop charging, my vr to fry, my ignition switch to cut off in the middle of a turn.
Oh, what fun we will have!!

Back