Air box mods

Grinder

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Has anybody modified the stock air boxes to get more air flowing? Mine just have some holes in the back to let the air in(77), seems pretty restrictive.

So you just drilled more holes in the box?

No. To do the XSJohn method, start with some straight 1" inch ID radiator hose. Cut a section long enough to fit inside the air box, centered between the two existing inlet tubes, allowing for approx. 1/8" to protrude outside the box, like the existing inlet tubes. This new tube will be a bit shorter than the two existing ones to clear the molded ribbing inside the air box. Use a Dremel with small round bit or a round hand file to grind a narrow, shallow groove around the circumference of the hose about 1/4" in from one end - this creates the means to "lock" the new tube into the box. Then create an oval-shaped hole centered between the existing inlets - file carefully by hand after roughing it in so it is just large enough to grip the new tube tightly in the groove. This takes a little time but is easy to do.:bike:

Last edited:
yeah that old box had a foam noise reduction? element in that area too. I just poured the remains of that foam out of a 77 airbox last night. Should have taken a picture, it just turned to dust when I touched it.

Was thinking these might make a good replacement for the airbox.
Flea bay Item number: 300399153705 haven't measured to see how they would fit yet.

Back