Almost at the finish line.. then mega trouble. please help

You say that you never saw anything like those 4 inch extensions. There is a good reason for that. They kill people.
The fork tubes break at the joint where the extensions screw in. This lets the forks flex in unexpected and uncontrolable directions.
I would remove them and if you want longer forks replace the tubes with 4 inch longer tubes.
Leo

That sucks. Not such an easy task for me to find longer tubes in Aus. Have you seen this happen first hand? I thought it would be quite safe because the join is inbetween the top and bottom trees. Youd have to snap those before it bent the fork tube wouldnt you?

Ive sent a msg to forks by frank to see if he could help me out in getting some longer 34mm tubes.

I thankyou XSLeo for letting me know about the fork extensions. Being a youngin i sort of just take shit for granted. If yamaha made it then it must be ok.... .I read a few things on the interweb that mention how terrible they are. even if the seam is in the middle of the trees.

I didnt really like the way the bike sits with stock forks so im going to try my best for some longer ones.

You could always track down a later model 35mm front end pretty cheap.

Where's the pics bro!

Not first hand, but I remember reading reports in the magazines about them. Even with the trees supporting the forks there will be some flex between the trees, not much but some. The fork tubes are not very thick walled were the caps screw in. They didn't really need to. They were supported by the tree.
Even small amounts of flex over a period of time will start to crack the fork tubes, once started they can grow rapidly.
If they break, it gets exciting real quick.
They may be ok for awhile but I would remove them. Inspect the top of the fork tube closely.
It seems awhile back a fellow had a long set of 34 mm forks he didn't want. Willing to trade for a stock set.
He might still have them.
Leo

Back