Alternative way of fitting a clutch rod seal

DaveO

XS650 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The common view on fitting a clutch rod seal is to dremel the place where it goes so that there is a chamfer or to use a de-burring tool. I watched the videos and read up on the procedure but just could bear the responsibility of grinding away material from the cases.

I tried offering up the dremel but it was so awkward for me I felt sure i would make a mess. I tried without but the seal lost a slight amount of material on the way in and subsequently leaked. Two seals messed up in this way.

So, I chamfered the seal. I'd rather ruin a four pound seal than a set of cases (yes I know its only a small amount of metal and everyone has done it this way before). Just a small amount from the seal's corner edge allowed me to push it in easily with thumb pressure. I used the tiniest smear of compound to lubricate it. I'd been keeping quiet about it fearing failure but 400 miles later its still clean as a whistle.

Dave

Last edited:
The common view on fitting a clutch rod seal is to dremel the place where it goes so that there is a chamfer or to use a de-burring tool. I watched the videos and read up on the procedure but just could bear the responsibility of grinding away material from the cases.

I tried offering up the dremel but it was so awkward for me I felt sure i would make a mess. I tried without but the seal lost a slight amount of material on the way in and subsequently leaked. Two seals messed up in this way.

So, I chamfered the seal. I'd rather ruin a four pound seal than a set of cases (yes I know its only a small amount of metal and everyone has done it this way before). Just a small amount from the seal's corner edge allowed me to push it in easily with thumb pressure. I used then tiniest smear of compound to lubricate it. I'd been keeping quiet about it fearing failure but 400 miles later its still clean as a whistle.

Dave
That’s a good tip, but the seal I used had a thin rubber like coating over a metal inner part, so if I tried chamfering the seal, the metal would be exposed and the costing would peel off. I too did not like the idea of chamfering the case, but ended up doing it with a manual deburring tool, then carefully used a Dremel tool on the forward part of the hole. I’ll post a pic of the deburring tool I used.

Like this

5F13CB46-5CA8-452B-8C30-A12C510F0764.png

Back