Am I just stoned? Second opinion needed.

jasidok

Live Life to the fullest!
Reaction score
Ok before I do anything too drastic... do you think I could make this into some sort of headlight on the XS650??? I’m open to all criticism here. And any constructive feedback also.......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 137
Yep, there's more to a headlight than just lumens--beam pattern, for a start. gggGary and I have both had good results with the Broview LED headlight. There are some connectors that have to be modified, and I cut a slot in the shell to put the heat sink mesh in the breeze (Gary doesn't find this necessary), but a pair of Broview headlight sets costs less than half what's wanted for one Bikemaster light, and would be a whole lot less work than messing with the Husky work light, if it could be messed with. What would you do for the 120V AC power supply that the work light needs? Sure, you could mount an inverter, but would your battery and charging system be enough to power it? Sounds like a problem to me.

Last edited:
Seems like a pretty whacky idea that would take a whole lotta work (inverter etc.) just to make it work.
If you just want to mess with LED, they make 5-7" housings and LED inserts all day long for much less than the $127 option posted.

Retrofitting that thing seems kinda like installing a window a/c unit on your XS...

Window-AC-Units-That-Heat-and-Cool-300x179.jpg[img\]

Just to be the Devil's Advocate here, I doubt the actual LED's run on direct 120vac. There's no doubt a power supply in the light housing that converts to some relatively low DC voltage. If I were gonna guess, I'd say 12v or less. If so, it should be possible to wire around that and run it off the bike's 12v system.

Of course that won't cure the pattern, focus and aiming issues, but I bet I could get it to light!

Short cut buy any motorcycle headlight you like that uses an H4 bulb, then use the broview S5 LEd bulb. high and low beam AND it has a good cut off. maybe I'm too cautious but I think blinding oncoming drivers is bad for my health.

Grizzly just before we went to the SE rally I swapped in an H4 headlight reflector and trim ring from an XS11 or XS750 with an S5 LED, no cuts no rewires just plugged it in the stock headlight wire socket, did some careful wire arranging in the shell and got everything stuffed :boxing: in there. 1300 miles, some at night on strange roads, no problem. As usual I had to aim the headlight down a bit, the aim point on those Broviews is a bit higher than the stock bulbs.

Pattern from a broview in a 7" reflector. (Royal star venture, now over 10,000 miles on the LED.

Low Beam broview S5 RSV low.jpg High Beam broview S5 RSV high.jpg

Back