ANLAF'S THIRD REBUILD DISASTER with VIDEO

Peanut, interesting about the danger of silicon blocking the airways, Peanut. Retriedgentleman rates it, so I would imagine that is down to the skill of correct application - accurate job, good seal, inaccurate, and I end up with bits of silicon floating around the inards.

Anlaf

Anlaf, at 0:44 in your video there something on the gasket, shame you can't upload HD because it looks like a smushed mosquito from here. What the hell is that? Is the gasket damaged or something?

And I would have tried the re-torque, you could probably go a bit over 30ft/lbs on the big ass nuts and seen if it changed anything.

But then again it looks like a lot of fun taking apart/putting back together :D

Peanut, interesting about the danger of silicon blocking the airways, Peanut. Retriedgentleman rates it, so I would imagine that is down to the skill of correct application - accurate job, good seal, inaccurate, and I end up with bits of silicon floating around the inards.

Anlaf

well its your engine Anlaf but both Dr Rod and Tony hall both recommended not using it . My experience of using one time only, was on a new Triumph engine and when the newly rebuilt engine started to seize I found several oilways blocked by small beads of blue silicon.( I'd always used red Hermatite until that time) Unless Hylomar have a new non-silicon based gasket cement I haven't heard of.:shrug:

There is one thing I'm not understanding on this "it leaks oil into the combustion chamber from the cam chain tunnel" idea. How does it leak oil into the chamber under the relatively low pressure differential during the intake stroke but does not leak out combustion gasses on compression/power stroke?

Simply put, if it leaks oil in why not gasses out(ie, a blown headgasket)?

Ken

IHWillys, the seal around the perimeter must be sufficient, and the oil is being burnt (when firing) or ejected (when plug fouled) through the exhaust system. That's to my limited knowledge, and it's a good thought - I kept my eye open for oil leaks for any oil leaks, but nothing from the head gasket at all.

Anlaf

IHWillys (Ken), welcome to the forum by the way. That was a good question, and I am still thinking about it - perhaps the fellers will come up with the calculations of pressure to whatever ratio something like Sheldon's white board on the Big Bang Theory (I don't get to watch but TV, but that makes me chuckle).

Anlaf

Carefully read the package of any sealer you plan to buy and make sure it is not silicone based. Unfortunately, as mentioned, the threebond, Yamabond, Hondabond, etc. formulas have been changed and many do contain silicone now. I used Hylomar years ago on my BMWs and it worked well. It had no silicone in it back then. I would go back to it if I ran out of the original Yamabond. I stocked up on a couple tubes when I knew it was being changed.

5twins, I am struggling to find sealant without silicone, but I will find some.

The closest I have been pointed to is ThreeBond 1184.- its technical information (attached) says it's a
semi-drying liquid gasket whose main component is special synthetic rubber.

There is no mention of silicone.

I will see where I can get that online, thanks my friend.

Anlaf

Attachments

• 1184_tech.pdf
    49.3 KB · Views: 126
Just found ThreeBond 1184 online. Ad says:

THREEBOND 1184 [formerly 1194 minus lead] is semi hardening gasket elastomer sealer which is unlike silicon because it dose not fall off inside the engine and cause blockages or oil circulation problems.

Very expensive over here - 22.47 of our English pounds - wow!

Anlaf

I have ordered a couple of tubes of the ThreeBond 1184. I will wait patiently for the right tools for the job. No bits floating around blocking-up stuff in my engine.

Anlaf

5twins, I am struggling to find sealant without silicone, but I will find some.

The closest I have been pointed to is ThreeBond 1184.- its technical information (attached) says it's a
semi-drying liquid gasket whose main component is special synthetic rubber.

Anlaf

thats the stuff you need Anlaf. I managed to order some on ebay a few months back but it came from Thiland !

The Permatex looked good, too. The blurb on both ThreeBond and the permatex was impressive. All these good sealants are expensive here, though. Yes, the word should spread to avoid silicon sealants.

Anlaf

Back