ANLAF'S THIRD REBUILD DISASTER with VIDEO

you're building an engine test rig ? awesome . :thumbsup:

I read through this thread and see that Rush briefly mentioned a leaky carb. If the needle valve on the carb is leaking fuel and raising the float level, raw fuel enters the cylinder and washes oil from the bore causing a white smoke sometimes mistaken for an oil burning problem.

The warped head may have been caused by excessive tightening of the outer head bolts sometime in the past. I have not experienced this and am just doing a mind experiment. Old Triumphs have a similar problem and the cure is to make up a jig that rewarps the head back straight. Put the jig and head in the oven for a while so the head can normalise.

Tom

That's the second post to suggest - albeit politely - I go and put my head in an oven!

I'll just have to eliminate this head gasket before opening my gas oven, but an interesting trick from the old days.

Anlaf

Still waiting for the ThreeBond so I phioned up the company - what do you know, PayPal paid them but they had something called a spike in their system and lost my order. Permission to express my extreme frustration - Oh! shhhhugar.

One, day it will get here - by then I could have carved a miniature Taj Mahal out of a piece of coal.

Anlaf

oh botheration !:( or words to that effect

thank god you rang or you'd still have been waiting next week...

I'd have sent you my tube if I thought it would be any quicker

I could post it first class tomorrow ..it should be with you Saturday

peanut, that is very kind of you. The lady promised me it would be here today, Friday, so I expect it will be here tomorrow, Saturday. Hang on, I will just give here a call, and see...

Anlaf

Oh! yes, my head's still warped, but not my sense of humour .

I can get my hands on almost everything XS650, but one thing that eludes me is one of those advance/points housing things. You never know, I might make a find of a box of bits in someones shed - and there will be one there.

Anlaf

Many of the guys I help out locally give me their extra stuff. I also keep an eye out for parts bikes (a parts bike is a wonderful thing). The last one I scored was literally sunk up to the axles in a farmer's field, but still well worth the $50 I gave for it .....

PartsBike1.jpg

Back