Another new guy with a XS2

Fullcircle

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Been on the site as a visitor for the last year or so as I have been working on my XS2.
Gathered some good information and decided its time to join.
Here is a couple of pics of where I currently am on the restoration. xs2a.jpg xs2b.jpg

Looks like you are off to a really good start on your resto. I suggest checking out MailMan's thread on his XS2 resto. It is quite a large thread with incredible documentation. Also just fun to follow along with Bob's adventures. He shares not only his victories, but also some pitfalls he has encountered along the way. Keep sharing photos... we love them.

Go'n down to the frame and start'n over... ? Condition of engine ? Photos... !

Thanks guys. I have been working on this bike on and off for a while. So far the frame has been powder coated, engine has new rings, valve and seats have been refreshed, all of the chrome has been redone(expensive), paint is done in original color (expensive). Lots of small parts have been through the blasting cabinet and painted. Finding some of the small parts for this bike is a bit of a pain and has taken longer than expected. Next on the list is to replace the old wiring loom that is hard and discolored and rebuild the switch gear and front brakes. Once i locate a few pics i will post the few I have.

Just got back from a week away from the -30 temps here in Alberta. I really have not taken a lot of pictures as I took the bike apart, just reference pictures for harness and component location really. Here is what I have .

20160903_145450.jpg
20161023_153741 (2).jpg
20170714_153916 (2).jpg
20180330_121319.jpg
20170910_150711.jpg
thumbnail_20190130_181450.jpg

I started with a complete bike with a family history so while I am restoring it, I am also leaving certain elements from its past intact as they tell its story. Last trip was in 1986 when it went from here to Yellowstone and back. After that it sat in a shed until 2017 when I brought it home and started working on it.

Back