Another XS650 in Boston

Tack427

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Story goes' like this.

Back in June of 2011, I got a call from my wife's godmother to check out a couch she was getting rid of. Wife's godmother's - mother had passed away the summer before and they wanted to clean out the house to sell it. On the drive over to the house I saw 5 or 6 Bikes take off from the light's and I said to my wife. "Hey Honey, can I get another bike." this time she said YES. (I've been asking every time I saw a bike since returning from Iraq the summer before and always got the "NO!" answer) I guess she was sick of me asking all the time. I said "You think the mother had a motorcycle she wants to get rid of too?" Her reply was "the lady was 100 years old, No she doesn't have a motorcycle she wants to get rid of."

So after getting to the house and checking out the couch and a table, the wife's godmother ask's "Anything else you could use?" I say, "You wouldn't happen to have a old motorcycle laying around would you?" To my surprise she says yes! (Wife just shakes her head). So quickly we get up and make our way to the backyard. I see it from a distance from the window. "Alright! an F'n Harley, no way!!" I say to myself. Getting a better look as I get closer I see its not the old Harley I saw from the window. Bummer.

I get right up to it and check it out better, its a XS650 and It's a mess. It had been in a shed for at least 10 years before the shed collapsed onto it. It was pulled out from under the mess and set to the side. The pile of shed along with the keys were sent to the dump.

So it sat for another 5 years in the weather. So you can only imagine its condition.
- Dry rotted tires, one flat, rusted chrome fender, no seat cover to speak of, cut front brake line, frozen front caliper, front mag rotted away from the brake fluid dripping, every kind of spider in the northeast, a nice coating of scum, and about 20 acorns in different places.

I didn't want to take it home, but the motor kicked over, and it was free with the title.
I added a can of fixaflat to the tire and with a Buddy's help dragged it to the street and got in the the back of the truck. It was at least 90 out and the half flat tire and frozen caliper didn't make it easy. (I never took the couch, LOL)

(I wish I had taken a picture of it when I first pulled it out, But I didn't and I'm kicking myself now)
After a few days of cleaning it, I like the look of it, and after searching around found lots of other XS's that turned out really nice.

I ordered a set of keys on ebay and while waiting patiently, I broke the latch on the gas cap. (I guess I should have waited.) But I was able to get the seat opened, The tank was clean inside. And I thought I was lucky, while the tank must have been drained the carbs were not with a nice layer of brown shit in the bowls, jets and floats.
A full can of carb cleaner later, some fresh gas and a new battery. She started right up, for about 6 seconds. :wtf:

Game on!

I pulled the carbs, gave them a good cleaning. Changed the oil, new plugs. Tryed to start it and nothing, fuse blew. Check out the fuse box and all the wires were corroded. I went to the U do it electrical shop and picked up a fuse panel, clipped some wires and re wired it. It then started up and ran for a few minutes before dying again. I was at a lost, turns out the coils were fried. Ordered a single coil with dual outputs and installed that. It now started and ran good. I ran a half a gallon of fuel through it and took it up and down the drive way. (Rear brakes only)

I had removed the front caliper to rebuild it and replace the lower brake line. That's when I found out the front master cyl was shot too. Pulled that off, ordered a rebuild kit and rebuilt it.

Ordered new tires, Air pods, New/used ebay front mag, pamco, saddleman seat cover. Installed all that. Blasted the rear fender and added some paint.

Here is how it looked as of November 2011.
full

full

full

full

full

After the pictures above. I pulled the tank stripped the paint, removed the Yamaha emblems,
full

I removed the brackets, putting 4 hole in the tank where the spot weld were. I welded the holes. I filled the indents and a few dents with bondo. Going to Kreem fuel tank liner this weekend. Finishing up the tank in the next few weeks.

I also pulled the front forks to polish them and gave up on the polish. So I primed and painted them aluminum color and added new boots, I'll add a picture later. They came out really nice.

I also removed the emblem on the side covers and welded the holes. Trying to figure out a paint color for them and the tank now. I'm thinking dark gray.

I pulled the handle bars and put in a set of drag bars yesterday.

I think I'm going to ride it for a while then maybe hard tail it. Only thing that's stopping me is money right now.

Tack427 My hat is off to you. Great story and build your wifes Godmother left you a good bike to start with Nice job. Ride it and enjoy. Don't hardtail it godmother wouldn't like that. :D :thumbsup:

Replaced my flasher relay with a autozone 552 last night. Seems to work just fine.
Still need to reroute my clutch cable after installing the drag bars. I already did the throttle cable and pulled the extra wire into the headlight. The master cylinder is touching the tach just about. I'll have to mess with that later.
While I was there I painted the risers and replaced the bushings with a set from mikesxs.

Im impressed. Bike looks good.Way to stick with it. I would rethink the Kreem and look at Por 15 or tank sealer from Caswell Plating to seal the tank

I'll second the Caswell sealer, it is the best!! More expensive but it works and won't mess up with our ethenal fuel---

Great story! I need to find one of those around here... I second not using Kreem even if it means you have to wait a while longer. It's not compatible with alcohol fuels. I used POR15, it's available directly from them or through Amazon. http://www.por15.com/CYCLE-TANK-REPAIR-KIT/productinfo/CTRK/ In a city the size of Boston, I would think there would probably be a hot rod or motorcycle restoration shop which might have it in stock. You might also check the local marinas.

Kreem has been around a long time but has not been holding up well. Try this link. Search for gas tank sealer on the site. Por is good but I think the epoxy from caswell is the newest generation of sealers. I do have Por 15 in my tank for the last two years.

http://www.caswellplating.com/

I just got home from work and checked out my Kreem kit. It says its safe for Ethanol & oxygenated fuels. I also went to the website and checked there too.

I'm going to look into those other options now, at the minimum I could at least use the tank wash from the Kreem kit.

Tack,
Thanx for serving! You already got the Kreem, so go with it. DO follow the direction's to the letter! I, personally like Red Coat, very easy to use. A fellow Nor' Easter here, but gettin' real sick of winter's here. Any info you need is available on this site, and some guy's will help you. Good luck with your project! BTW, you could use acetone to wash the tank after de-rusting it. Acetone is available at any paint store, even Lowe's. Just be very carefull, it is highly volatile!

Thanks, Gordon.

I haven't had much of a chance to check out the reviews yet.

Here is some shots of the painted forks. They look nice and metallic in person, it was kinda dark in the garage tonight. Color is Rustoleum Engine Enamel - Aluminum

full

full

Drag Bars and painted risers. I don't like how close the MC is to the tach. I'm going to fix that soon. Grips are temporary until I find a new pair I like.

full

full

Paint valve cover. I did the others too after.
full

full

Nice job on the lower's. Rustoleum huh? Wow, not bad at all. I have seen alot of guy's spend hour upon hour ploishing them up, look great but the amount of work, whew.You will see looking through some of the album's the guy's got, engine case',cylinder's, ect. Oh yea, welcome to the site.

Nice job on the lower's. Rustoleum huh? Wow, not bad at all. I have seen alot of guy's spend hour upon hour ploishing them up, look great but the amount of work, whew.You will see looking through some of the album's the guy's got, engine case',cylinder's, ect. Oh yea, welcome to the site.

engine primer, engine Aluminum, and engine clearcoat.
The clearcoat really brought out the shine in the aluminum paint. Need to take the chrome covers off the head and blast and paint them too.

I like the color alot and I think I'm going to pull the motors side covers to paint them soon, With wrinkle black on the rest of the motor.

I ended up Kreem'n the tank. I already bought it and didnt want to ship it back, plus pay a restock fee.

Pulled the chrome covers off the motor to paint to match the valve covers. I havent finished those yet.

Test fitted the tank with the drag bar, The bars did not hit the tank.

No rush to finish the bike with it being 23 degrees here today I figure I have 3-4 months before i could ride it anyways.

WOW, what a difference some time make's. Look's real good. We got lucky this winter, and for that I am greatfull. Was able to get allot done meself. Probably see you around. Let me know if you venture south, and if I head up north, I'll let you know.
BTW, I like the drag's, maybe some with a wider stance would give more room for the master cylinder. And poss. higher riser's.

I took it out for a ride a few days ago. Rides good but only rode it 3 miles before I realized fuel was leaking from the petcocks on both side's.

Fuel is leaking from the little hole on the plastic block on the vacuum operated petcocks. The fuel was just spitting out slowly but enough to wet the top of the carbs. I basically went straight home and took them apart and it looks like the diaphragms are worn. So I ordered some rebuild kits from z1enterprises.com

And a set of bar-end mirrors because the stock mirrors now look at my shoulders with the new drag bars. Its kinda scary riding in traffic without seeing behind you on intercity streets.

Back