Anyone doing any full restorations this winter?

XS-IVE Habit

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am doing two restorations on my Suzuki DR 350's this winter. I was wondering if any of my XS 650 brothers were doing some frame up restorations or what type of work you guys are doing.

I'm planning on hardtailing the one I just bought. I bought it for a winter project. Probably a David Bird looped hardtail, deep tunnel instigator tank, mini z bars, some brass and copper. Atleast those are the plans for now...

Just bolting overhauled carbs back on a 79 but a guy's coming for that bike tomorrow. I really need to get rid of three KZ305s before I bring in the next 650 project. So 1 or 2 need to go brrm brrm to sell em. A couple of 650s need the "get ready for the next guy" treatment but I really want to work on the mild cafobber project. Fraid there is no way I am going to get started on the 70 restore this year. Still need a lot of parts for that anyway. A part time postal route, some house projects, a little cross country skiing, keeping the wood stoves stoked, the Holidays and there goes winter.

I've got a david bird straight hardtail already tig welded to my frame, and the motor is apart on my bench. Just need to make more progress before posting anything worthwhile.

I have a 74 TX650A lined up for a frame up restoration and a 1983 XJ900 after that. Then two RD400s. Gonna be a busy winter/spring.

Barry how are you sir! I am loving the luggage rack. I met one of the fellow VJMC members at a show in Westminister SC. He had the gorgeous water buffalo at Barber. I am extremely jealous of the fact you have 2! RD 400's. I am trying to find one RD 350/400 to restore with my dad over the winter. Tell me how the progress goes and if you need me to take one off your hands I guess I might be able to :)

The RD400s are a 1976 and the 79 RD400F. One of them will be for sale when done, but they are both a real mess. I am most looking forward to the 900 Seca. What a sweetheart of a bike.
The guy with the Suzuki is my friend, Gordon. We both have this disease bad!:D

I love - and envy - my bros here who talk about multiple restos (or even one!) during the course of a winter. Hell... if I get a carb dialed in properly during the course of several months, I feel like I'm kickin' @ss! :p

Cheers and props to yous cats! :p

TC

Bigpup, I dont mean to pirate the thread but, im really interested in the david frame too. I want a 2 stretch and 1 drop. Whats your measurements? You think i could get a few pictures of it?

I am starting in about an hour to pull and re-build the trans in My Bronson replica Sportster. First trans I have done, should be interesting. Need to re-assemble a 75 Honda XR-75 that is hanging from the ceiling. Have a 72 Honda SL-100 painted and powder coated, and ready to re-assemble, also hanging from.....the ceiling. Need to do some routine maint on the 46 Chief. Need to get back on the 75 Kawasaki 350 Bighorn. Need to sell or assemble a 77 XS650 Street Tracker. Had planned to start a Kawasaki 1100 Bonneville project, have 4 of those to pick thru for parts. Need to restore a Kaw 175 enduro, 73 model, and a 75 Honda XL-250. Oh yeah, need to dis-assemble and restore a 72 Honda Mini-Trail 70. Need to RIDE My 69 Honda Z-50A-K1.:bike: Also need to part out a 75 Kaw 175 enduro. 2 Honda 160 Dreams in the corner, one builder, one parts, begging for My attention. Want to but a sailboat or, two? A 22 foot Racing Santana, and a 27 foot Catalina cruiser. A 22 Bayliner Cabin Cruiser is begging for some wet. WTF am I doing sitting at this computer, I have WORK to do. Retirement is hard work!

I've got this completely apart right now.

Attachments

• rsz_bikes_027.jpg
    rsz_bikes_027.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 68
I'm ready to start assembly of a 77 tracker project that I have put way to much money into, but am hopeful for a good outcome.

So far:
750 kit
Mikuni 34's
650 Central cam/springs
Greatscott High pipes (the ones with the cherry bombs)
port job
Boyer Branson ignition
new cables
new switch gear
new headlight
chopped up, cleaned up powder coat on frame and other bits
new spokes
new tires
custom aluminum side covers

there will be lots more before I'm done

I will continue (and hopefully finish) the restoration on my 72 this winter. I'm also looking for a 71 XS650 so maybe it will wait a little bit.

Trying to get my shop off the ground this winter. I have an 81 for myself(to chop) and a 78 basket for the shop to chop.

3 650s...all of which are bare frames right now, waiting for parts, waiting to chop, waiting for money, time....the to do list just keeps getting longer and longer

i wouldn't call mine a restoration, but its a 77D that i tore down, fixed the frame that the PO kind of hacked up and had it powder coated, putting in all the handling upgrades, going through the top end, cleaning the motor and polishing the covers and forks... maybe next year i'll have the money to get the tank and sidecovers painted

Attached is my definition of a restoration. My XS1 had been modified and looked more like a 75. This was worse than a basket case because most parts on the bike couldn't be used. The engine and frame was correct, but that was about it. A lot of hunting. By the way, all the work was done by yours truly except the chrome plating. And the engine is also as new. The after pic was taken at the Barber Festival this year.

Attachments

• XS1 AS PURCHASED.jpg
    XS1 AS PURCHASED.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 67
  • XS1 AT BARBERS 2010.JPG
    XS1 AT BARBERS 2010.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 70
or what type of work you guys are doing.

Sharp 70, hopefully something like that someday for mine maybe, howzat for confidence?
No need to be snooty about restorations. :bike:
I was forced to finish up a set of 34's bolted em on a 79 special last night, fired it up and delivered it to it's new home today. One of my babies flew the nest. It 's getting a TC hardtail and sportster tank next....

Not being Snooty. Not my style. This is just what I do. I have resurrected a few bikes over the years too. The main thing is bringing them back to life and getting good use out of them.

There's no reason you can't bring your 70 all the way back. Lots of help is always available around here. Key word. Patience.

Back