Anyone recognize this bike? Was he ever a member here?

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I ran across this build and the guy did really impressive work. This is a link to a Flickr page where the guy documented this build, 500 photos! Very nice! :geek:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/speedfourjoe/albums/72157627478817247/page1

FD448AFB-F906-4BAC-BE1C-8228DEC4148C.jpeg
92D395A6-8350-4B70-B7DF-49646FEF4A5F.jpeg

Yeah! That’s where I found him. I just came across that site yesterday, there are some really creative builds on that site. I’ll have to look up that blue 650.
I really like they way it looks with the Petty fender mounted to the bottom yoke, and the CT2 tank. Both good looking bikes for sure. I always thought he really captured the XS in a dress that Yamaha should have offered but didn't.

I really like they way it looks with the Petty fender mounted to the bottom yoke, and the CT2 tank. Both good looking bikes for sure. I always thought he really captured the XS in a dress that Yamaha should have offered but didn't.

Yeah I really like the almost factory look of his “ enduros “. They really look like they could’ve been the big brother of the DT enduro line up.

Yeah I really like the almost factory look of his “ enduros “. They really look like they could’ve been the big brother of the DT enduro line up.
Agreed, well executed customs indeed. I've had loads of pictures of both of them saved on my computer as "inspiration" for my next build:devil:.

I like them and would be appropriate for me to ride here except for the short range fuel tank. That little tank looks good, but it won't do the job.

It would be sorta like those little peanut Sportster tanks, good for about 90 miles. Really a neighborhood bike.
I'm pretty sure I can ride from here to the Gulf on dirt. A purpose built XS650 would be fun for that.
upload_2021-12-17_11-58-42.png

This is probably better.

I like that front fender. I’ve been looking at alternatives for my 77 build and came across this one last night. It’s a snapshot from a YouTube video I found. Not a fan of the paint, but it has the look of what I like.
644E7879-7798-40E4-AC2B-45DFBEEF3991.jpeg

I may need to look into that DTfender as an option too. **edit... maybe not... Those are some spendy parts !!!

Last edited:
I like that front fender. I’ve been looking at alternatives for my 77 build and came across this one last night. It’s a snapshot from a YouTube video I found. Not a fan of the paint, but it has the look of what I like.
View attachment 203413
I may need to look into that DTfender as an option too. **edit... maybe not... Those are some spendy parts !!!
The fender on the blue bike is a Preston Petty mudder.

From what I researched in the photo album I believe it is from a Yamaha DT1. Looking at them on eBay they appear quite rare, or at least those selling them think so. Get your checkbook out. It was not a direct bolt on either. He cut the factory mounts off an old fender and welded on additional mounts to accommodate.
B5FA6D9F-7A86-4B4E-B8AC-7FDDF28058F8.png

Last edited:
Back