Anyone ride their XS off road?

Ktm riders were freaking out....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Ktm riders were creaking out....

They did that to me on the Sheetiron. They're such a silly group, bought into the notion that you have to drink the orange kool aid to be able to survive off pavement. My idea is I'm riding my most dirt worthy bike! If it was good enough for the guys that founded the rally, it's good enough for me.

My base gasket was leaky. Looked worse than it really was.

Just ran Uni foam filters with filter skins.

Okay. I ran 5" uni filters without skins. I went for a ride Thursday after I got back and thought I'd better swap some clean filters on after the sheetiron. I pulled my sidecovers and found my filters to be decently clean. Not sparkling, but serviceable especially since it also dawned on me at that same moment I forgot a rag or towel or anything to clean my hands on. Rather surprised me. So back went the sidecovers and away I went!

I got the impression a lot of people get up early on Saturday, get their picture taken at the starting line, load em up, drive to Baker for breakfast and ride through Red Rock and get to Vegas early then get their picture taken at the finish line high fiving and drinking beer like they slayed the dragon.

Just sayin.....seemed like... Not bitter or anything...beer is always appropriate

I got the impression a lot of people get up early on Saturday, get their picture taken at the starting line, load em up, drive to Baker for breakfast and ride through Red Rock and get to Vegas early then get their picture taken at the finish line high fiving and drinking beer like they slayed the dragon.

Just sayin.....seemed like... Not bitter or anything...beer is always appropriate

That's too bad. I'm the guy that goes cool places and leaves with stories, no t- shirt to show for it. What's the point of showing up for photo ops only? Lame.

That said there are some insanely capable machines out there that make some rough stuff look easy. Perhaps that's what's fooling us? I choose the hard way.

Hi jussum,
you reckon they were posers or just riders doing the best that they can?
Aerostitch has a "joke" portion in their on-line catalog.
I like the analog GPS, (the photo shows a small polished brass sextant with a handlebar clamp mount.) but what's appropriate to your post is the aerosol can of instant road grime, containing oil, dirt and genuine insect parts.

All we know as veteran good off road riders is that we started before the sun rose, was at the front of the pack, road all day with very little breaks, and finished after dark. Granted, we were not at warp speed with only 3 inches of travel flogging it across the desert and slogging through deep sand, but many started late and finished early. They cheated and bailed many sections but came in as hero's. We finished, and even the sweep riders were ahead of us. When you finish there's check in to make sure you are okay. When we came in, they did didn't even bother to check us in. They were tearing down the event.

In my opinion, the route was too long for truthful real riders.

Hey Fred
They were probably just people smart enough not to beat the crap out of themselves for fourteen hours straight, have some fun and drink a few beers! It was fun but word to the wise, get out of Vegas in the early hours Sunday or get stuck in traffic for the entire trip back to Barstow. We idled along in first and second gear for 8 hours on the hi way

Sheet iron is next weekend but I'm out this year. Wife just had our newest baby yesterday. That said, I have been having fun up till now. Each episode is approximately 30 minutes each, shot by a good friend and my trail guide here in Northern California Sierra Nevadas.

Ride to Washington Town:

Ride to Alleghany:

Shocks are a tad over 14" . Factory shocks from a late model Triumph Scrambler.

I know this was posted a long time ago, but maybe someone knows the answer to my question. I picked up a set of these scrambler take-off shocks off ebay and found that the rubbers and bushings in the eyes are too big on one end and too small on the other. Where did you find proper mounting hardware and/or how did you adapt them to fit properly?

subscribed...... love this stuff. Would love to take this direction with my on going build. Only problem is I don't know many land owners here in the Indiana flatlands to take it off-road at.

I know this was posted a long time ago, but maybe someone knows the answer to my question. I picked up a set of these scrambler take-off shocks off ebay and found that the rubbers and bushings in the eyes are too big on one end and too small on the other. Where did you find proper mounting hardware and/or how did you adapt them to fit properly?

Did you get those from me?

Check your local hardware store nuts and bolts section for shims. Just bring the shock in with you to test fit the bushing end, and use a caliper to measure the ID or a generic bolt that fits.

I honesty don't recall having a bushing issue on my 1978 standard with the Scrambler shocks until I got my current NJB shocks (which work great!). But those came with a large assortment of shims to adapt to whatever application. The shocks are made for British twins. They're perfect.

Your the man Troop and the 650 is the bike. Really enjoyed the ride videos. To boldly go where no other 650 has gone before. Congratulations on the new baby. :cheers:

Back