anyone try the xsjohn's low compression?

cpt137

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be rebuilding a engine over the winter and was intrigued by xsjohn's low compression mod (two head gaskets) but involves resetting the cam. Does it works and who can retime the cams?

I know for a fact it will work. Double stacking had gaskets will drop compression on any OHV engine. I ran double stacked gaskets on my 2.0L VW and it went from 10:1 to 8.5:1. Are you planning on running NOS/Turbo?

I'm running the 8:1 lowered compression. John set my cam....not sure who'll pick up on it.
I'll tell ya, if I had to go back to stock I'd sell the bike.
Well, mebbe not, though I wouldn't be happy.

just running stock but the problem now is getting the cam timed. I wish someone would pick that up.

You can (and pretty much have to) time the cam yourself in your own engine. its not hard, just a few special tools and you are there...

Less heat, vibration and better rideability. With the right gearing and reduced compression these bikes would probably be tons better for some longer drives. I run way taller gearing for highway on mine too. Much better to ride with less revs.

I still think a thicker base gasket would be the way to go. Anyone know of any reason why two head gaskets is better? What exactly do you have to do to re-degree the cam sprocket? How do you do it?

If I wanted to lower the compression I would try to find some pistons without domes. You do not have to mess with the cam. If enough people wanted lower compression pistons we could have them made and it would lower the cost. The other TC

I have several bikes with low compression, let me know and I could take that nasty old high compression engine off your hands.

If I wanted to lower the compression I would try to find some pistons without domes. You do not have to mess with the cam. If enough people wanted lower compression pistons we could have them made and it would lower the cost. The other TC

The cost of doing the 8:1 was a total of- 1 used head gasket and moving the timing in the cam.
Anything else was labor, supplied by me.....cheap labor, that is:laugh:

I think XSJohn explained just how to remove the cam sporcket and press it back on in the right place. It was on the old 650rider site. Do a search as 650Skull mentioned and you may find it.

I can't find an explination other to to retard it 2 to 2 1/2 degrees. I have the extra head gasket.

Back