Are the 38's sooo much better that the 34's?

fasterhorses

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ol, posted here after reading and bought a set of 38's off of e-bay. Seller has given no communication and hasn't sent carbs, opened a case to get my $ back...7 more days...plus i will need new boots...after the 3 weeks I've been waiting. Tore my old stock '80 carbs and they are pretty dirty and holes in 1 diaphram...(hence the sticking open problem that started the WHOLE carb business). Do I rebuild, spend like $ for kits and diaphram... buy some 38's? i just want to frickin ride!!!!! Opinions please

http://jbmindustries.com/

for your boots and diaphrams (well worth it, and others here will back me up) and on the 34's the rebuild kit is cheap, just minor parts. I just went through all this with my bs34's. All is sweet now and she hauls ass. Just clean clean clean...fully disassembled..don't cut corners.

Thanks for the input....I was feeling that if it needs to be done..so it right and then you know. I did find a piece of float bowl hinge post was broken, but float moves fine and isnt loose or wobbly, not a big deal or is it?

:laugh:If its not broke all the way through or in a structural area or doesn't affect the pin or....lol...your probably alright. Just joshin..use your best judgement. BTW there is a great breakdown etc. of the bs34's in Tech.

Got a pic of the broken post ?

I ran 38's on my first build, and they ran great. I now run 34's on the bike I'm riding now, and they run great. I think they all can be made to run well if you take your time, and read the advice in this forum.

Yes, the 34s can be a very good carb. I wouldn't change from them unless the set I had could not be saved and only 38s were available to me. If I had other 34s, I would probably use them. A thorough cleaning, rebuild, re-jet, stainless Allens, alloy tops .....

34AlloyTops2.jpg

Back