Been fleeced by UK import duty

jay760

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Just bought an xs650.com t shirt, with postage to the UK it cost $28, I've just had a import duty bill for about $30, I know this country is hard up but this is ridiculous, that's my rant for the day.

Oooof!!

I started declaring ALL overseas orders to be a "gift" or if its a large order, I declare it to be worth $100... What a sham!

It's a shame that I can order an entire container of junk from China, and pay NO taxes or import duties, but if I order anything from Canada, I get hit hard...

Oooof!!

I started declaring ALL overseas orders to be a "gift" or if its a large order, I declare it to be worth $100... What a sham!

It's a shame that I can order an entire container of junk from China, and pay NO taxes or import duties, but if I order anything from Canada, I get hit hard...
It's okay Hugh - we take it in the chute when we buy from the USA ;-) I guess it works out that both of our governments are making money at our expense.

Jay - You better wash that shirt on the delicate setting and keep it for a really long time. Maybe only wear it to special events (weddings, funerals etc.).

Not used to this import duty, I know they had it in Australia but not sure when it kicked in, certainly never paid any while I was there and imported loads of stuff from the US, it's not something I've got used to figuring into the price when I look at things yet.

Here in Oz the limit for new importred goods is $1000.00 before any GST tax's are added. A big push is being done to add the GST tax to all imported internet sales as the retailers are hurting

I've said this before, but I was watching a show about how the Chinese come over here, buy container ships full of scrap metal, ship it back to China, produce things (cars, motorcycles, ect), then ship it back for sale here and still make a killer profit. Crazy!

I've said this before, but I was watching a show about how the Chinese come over here, buy container ships full of scrap metal, ship it back to China, produce things (cars, motorcycles, ect), then ship it back for sale here and still make a killer profit. Crazy!

The advantages of limitless labour, no workplace safety regulations, no environmental controls and a constant demand for cheap products:shrug:

The tide is starting to turn though. The Chinese people are starting to develop a middle class and it's driving up the local demand for product (and the prices). Jobs are slowly starting to trickle back to north America:thumbsup:

Back