Before I go any farther......

VonSchmitt

XS650 Member
Reaction score
OK, Im doing a basket case bobber. I have a few questions before I have my frame hardtailed though. I have an engine & forks from a 78, my frame is a 71, will my parts all fit together? Also, Im kinda hesitant to tail the 71 frame, if its a more desirable or rare frame? Its already been cut near the end of the back. I was able to get it titled & looked at it as saving it from the scrap yard.

Pretty much yes. I am not an expert but complete engines bolt from year to (any other) year. The complete fork should also transfer. IIRC The early frames have a steeper rake than the later ones they also are not quite as strong. So since it is already cut have at it, the 71s are not as rare as the 70's you may wish to consider the steep rake and lower it some with how you set up your hard tail. BUT you may end up with an engine that is tipped back from vertical.

My sketchy memory is hinting there may be a neck length difference early to late. It is not insurmountable by any means but will have to be checked.

Back