Best Place to Buy Tires

I always buy tires and such locally. They are cheaper to install their own tires, than something I bring in. Plus, you need to support your local shop, you never know when you might need them.

Cheap online tires = Higher install costs at the shop

Its about the same cost if not just about $5-10 higher to buy locally, once you figure in shipping and all that mess...

Sometimes specialty tires are hard to come by locally. The classic Goodyears and flat track tires for street trackers come to mind. If you just need mainstream tires I agree, keep your local guy in business.

Haven't ordered xs tires from them yet but the motorcycle superstore is $30 to $50 cheaper than any shop here in Tucson, just for the tire. Plus shipping is free. I think it starts at a set dollar amount but the tires I need are more expensive. Local shops still charge you to install on top of the tire. I have local shop that will put on the tire you bring in for $20. Down side is that you have to take the wheel in off of the bike, but that's easy and worth keeping $50 in my pocket.
My 2 cents, Probably not worth that. :)

I buy the tires for my V-Star at Motorcycle Superstores and have them installed there for $15.00. They are local for me. I will be checking them out when I am ready for tires on my XS.

I buy from motorcycle superstores and mount them myself. Why pay a shop to mount them when you can do it yourself?

I buy from motorcycle superstores and mount them myself. Why pay a shop to mount them when you can do it yourself?

Same here, XS tires are easy to mount, even the 16s. A couple of cheap tire irons and a little dish soap is all you need. I static balance mine by supporting the wheel on the axle in between two sawhorses, finding the heavy side and add weight to the opposite side until it stays wherever I put it without rotating. Tested to around 100mph with no problems.

DLD1

I just shop around on the net till I find a good price, most with free shipping if you buy a set. I have the tools to change them myself. I use Dyna Beads for balanceing, just put them in and they are balanced. when I change tires I change the Dyna Beads along with them, just remove fron old tube or tire and put in the new.

I bought my Firestone Champions from Coker Tire in the US.. my local shop had no clue about vintage replica tires or even where to start to find them. I ordered them online.. fast shipping and exactly what I wanted..

Unless you're going to put them on yourself, ask the mechanic if he'll put tires on that weren't bought through him. One I checked with said "Would you take your meat to McDonald's and expect them to cook it?" My reply was "Give me a cheeseburger with fries." LOL

I just shop around on the net till I find a good price, most with free shipping if you buy a set. I have the tools to change them myself. I use Dyna Beads for balanceing, just put them in and they are balanced. when I change tires I change the Dyna Beads along with them, just remove fron old tube or tire and put in the new.

dyna beads, i'm gonna have to give those a shot. i was just going to use that liquid tire balancing shit you get at the autoparts store.

I buy my tires from my local Yamaha shop, he will order any tire I want, if there is a problem, then it's on him.

BTW, my Yamaha dealer has been here since the mid 70s, he keeps parts for the old XS650s in stock. I have purchased from him....OEM petcock, cam seal and gasket, the oil pan gasket, and the seal behind the front sprocket. He claims to have enough parts to rebuild two XS650 engines.

I buy my tires from my local Yamaha shop, he will order any tire I want, if there is a problem, then it's on him.

BTW, my Yamaha dealer has been here since the mid 70s, he keeps parts for the old XS650s in stock. I have purchased from him....OEM petcock, cam seal and gasket, the oil pan gasket, and the seal behind the front sprocket. He claims to have enough parts to rebuild two XS650 engines.

What dealer and do they ship to Canada?

I order my tires from JakeWilson.com I also self mount and use Dyna Beads in my tires. For the pair of tires and Dyna Beads for my 84 Honda Sabre, it cost me about $112 shipped and they showed up the very next day.

The liquid stuff will be hard to change from the old tire to the new tire.
www.innovativebalancing.com/
They come in kits, $13.40 each for the 1oz and 2 oz kits, does both tires. . Most front use 1 oz, most rears use 2 oz. I was very impressed when I installed them in my XS. I put on the new tires, rode the bike. Added the front and it was much smoother than before. Added the rear and most road induced vibration was greatly reduced. Felt much more stable in corners.
I had put new tires on the Harley a month or so before. It rode smooth, I added the Dyna beads to the tires, knocked off the wheel weights. The effect wasn't as great as with the XS, but still an improvement.
I like them it's still to soon to see if the tires wear longer. I was getting about 11-12k on the rear, 13-14k on the front of the Harley.
On the XS only a few thousand on the Bridgestone Spitfires, so hard to see any wear.

One thing more when you get the kit, take the short clear hose to the hardware store and get a piece the same size but about two foot long. It makes the install easier if you put them in through the valve stem, which you do with tubes. On tubless you just pour them in the tire before you put the second bead over the rim.

I just purchased 2 Bridgestone Spitfire S11 tires from Bike Bandit.com $120 for both tires right to my door in 2 days. Dont know if thats a great deal or not but I'm happy :)

Back