Big Bore Recommendation

trentjanelle

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need to freshen up my motor and was wondering if the LA sleeve and wiseco piston set up is the best and most cost effective way to up the cc's???

Or is it better to buy a kit from mikes xs?

alternatively i could just keep the standard cc's and maybe just put a little cam in it.
(Rephasing not an option)

I thought while i have it apart i might aswell give in a little tickle.

And info would be good.

Thanks Trent

I'm not sure what the LA sleeve and piston kit is but you can bore the stock cylinders out to 12th over as they call it, or 78 mm bore. This gives you some where around 707 cc's.
To go any bigger you need to resleeve the cylinders. That requires getting the new sleeves, removing the stock sleeves, boreing the cylinders to fit the new sleeves.
Unless you get the parts or machine work real cheap then the 750 kit from Mike's might be cheaper.
Leo

Thanks Leo,

The LA Sleeves are just new sleeves that you put in and you can buy the wiseco pistons to suit, which is what you described towards the end anyway.

Unless you plan to race the 750 kit is a waste money. I would go for a cam change and cleanup the ports. Depending on the shape the bore is. You might just need rings. Your motor will last longer with out the high compression pistons.

Awesome... My racing days are over.
There isn't really anything wrong with the bore i don't think. i just thought while it was apart i would up the cc's.

If you are going to go a 750 LA sleeves and Wiseco pistons are quality parts for sure. The Wiseco pistons are better than the pistons in the 750 kit from what the guys who are in the know say. But the cost of sleeving may come out more dollars than the kit. I am contemplating the same thing from the cost I got it looks like 100 bucks more to do the sleeving over the kit. I am considering buying the big jugs and use Wiseco pistons also. Yes Hoos racing has the 700 pistons or any you want and you can bore your stock sleeves out to accept the 700 pistons. Gary Hoos is a good dude and knows how to make one of these go fast and really at a reasonable cost.

Back