Billet Rear Sets. ALL XS650's

What pipes are you running if you don't mind me asking? I have a couple members asking about any clearance issues with exhausts, stock and aftermarket.

Thanks in advance

Kris

I'm running the commando kit from MikesXS, it was a very tight fit on the brake side. I had to grind the width of the lever down about a quarter inch to accommodate the bolt head. I can take a picture when I get out of work.

Edit: Got some pics. I wanted to put the nut on the inside, but there was just no way I could see that working. As it is the kickstart just barely scrapes by. Good enough to use in the event my starter gives up on me. My only real issue is that I seem to have to press very hard to get any rear brake input, is that just par for the course with this kind of modification?

DlsXeh.png

qWWeBh.png

Last edited:
Seems like I'll have to wait a bit longer for these. Hurricane Sandy really gave us pounding here in NY. We're trying to help some friends that lost everything, so I'm putting the 650 on the back burner for now.

I bought a set of the mids, and was trying to install them today, and had a couple of questions.
There were no instructions included, so do you have any suggestions for dimensions when cutting down the stock shifter and brake pedal?
Also, does anyone have a close-up shot of the installation of the bolt that secures the peg. I used only the locking washer under the head of the bolt, and the flat washer between the mount and the bronze bushing on the shift lever, but if I tighten it fully, it interferes with the peg's folding action. If I back the bolt off to allow the peg to function properly, it is not secure and the peg rotates too freely. Any suggestions?

P.S. The bolts that were supplied to fasten the pegs, are 2" OAL, but look like they should be about 1/4" shorter? Is this possible?

Thanks.

Thanks for the input. I was hoping to order some of those myself but would hope there was instructions to, as I have never mounted resets before. I have been trying to contact him for several days myself with no response.
jefft

When some of these vendors of rearsets don't have instructions with their product or even a picture on their website of the product mounted it makes the choice of rearsets a little difficult. Instructions I would think wouldn't be too much to ask for due to the fact that most of these kits I have seen are not just a bolt up process but require several modifications. Just my 2 cents.
jefft

I do have install instructions available. Sorry that I didnt include them with the kit. All of the washers provided are to go on each of the footpeg mount. There were 4 flat washers, and 2 split washers with the kit. Without the proper spacing, the folding peg WILL bind.

All of the washers need to be used in this manner. 2 flat, and one split on each footpeg mount bolt. I didnt want to go to a shorter bolt, so i used a longer one and added a washer. the next size down would be too short, and not give proper thread engagement.

The shifter arm hole location should be as close to 2 inches as you can get it. This dimension will control the length of travel for your foot, and action smoothness/ease.

Attachments

• XS 650 Install instructions.pdf
    144 KB · Views: 352
I got these mid control sets, they look great and nicely made.
I have an issue fitting the brake side, not enough place around the muffler. Mufflers aren't stock so I think they're a little closer to the brake shaft.
Any suggestions or pictures would be appreciated from those of you who successfully mounted these.
Fleksta's look like they barely pass and my muffler is thicker at that point also closer to the shaft.

Ill post a pic of the kick starter all the way down. Ill do that tonight.

As far as rear disk setups, It may work like it is, with the brake pedal modification done in the pic. Cut off, and drilled a new hole in it. This bike was converted to drum when i got it, but I have access to another thats stock can look at.
Price will be $165 plus shipping.

That includes the following
Folding pegs
Levers
Linkage components (threaded rod, and rod ends )
Mounts
Mount spacers
nuts for mounts
toe pegs.

I dont supply the splined shift arm anymore. They are way to expensive to source from Ebay in the quantities i need. But they are still available there. Its from an R1, or R6. Offset style. they wree from MANY late model Yammies, from 1990 on.

got a pic of this set up?[rear disc] pm coming shortly thanks

This kit should work just as well with a drum, or Rear Disk setup. The brakes actuate in the same manner.... ie Pedal is mounted to similar pivot shaft through the frame...

Since my kit instructs you to mount to the factory pedal, it will work for both styles. And the price is $185 plus shipping. You may have an older message or post. Sorry for that.

Pete, hello.
I have 81 special with stock exhausts. The midset kit for the brake side doesn't work. Muffler diameter too big. I want to keep a low noise exhaust system c/o really bad ringing in my ears from too many miles on a straight pipes bike. So, I want the midset control arrangement. Looks like I need a different muffler kit. I'm wondering if you have solved the midset -muffler mismatch problem, and if so, what did you do? Pics would be great if possible.
Charlie

Back