Brake caliper question

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I just took off the brake caliper off the forks and used a bit of air to get the piston to move out
Piston looks great rubber boot seems fine but..
Where does this spring clip go it fits nicely on the metal part of the caliper above the boot
Do I need to make the circumference of that spring clip a little smaller to kinda secure the rubber boot to the caliper casting ?
And I saw this wear mark on the caliper casting looks the rotor was rubbing against it

Attachments

• 20240312_164951.jpg
    20240312_164951.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240312_164951.jpg
    20240312_164951.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240312_162215.jpg
    20240312_162215.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 34
I’d figure out why it was rubbing… that’s not good.

As for the metal clip, I believe it just rests on there. I don’t think it’s all the secure of a clamp. (Someone will correct me if I’m wrong) but just enough clamp to keep the rubber from moving.

then I should slightly change the circumference of that clip because as it is it's to loose to hold the boot on
I would think that the piston would be pushing it away from where it was rubbing

You have the clip in the right spot, but the rubber boot needs to go under it. So, fit the rubber boot on there first then place the spring clip over it.

The gap in the caliper mount or carrier should be about centered on the disc. Mount it up and check that. You may need to place a washer on the axle on that side so the wheel doesn't come over quite so far. You would place it on the inside of the fork leg here .....

fixedfrontwheel.jpg

Also, while the caliper is off, make sure that bushing in the big rubber grommet at the top of your first 2 pics can slide side to side in the grommet a little bit. That allows the caliper to move a little when you apply the brake. Over time, they dry up and don't move anymore. All you need to do is pop the bushing out, clean it and the hole in the rubber, then apply some rubber friendly grease to it.

Another possibility. Check the rotor to see if the rubbing is consistent or on part of it.

If it is all the way around, most likely caliper mounting.

If in one area It could b the rotor is warped or dirt got behind the face when it was installed.

1710330802397.png

You don't need a washer. Figure out whats wrong.
Note there is wear from the OD of the rotor;
1710331199391.jpeg

also very wrong. Something was not assembled correctly. This is not guessing or good enough territory. get to the bottom of this! Side wear could be a stuck caliper slider pin. Rather common.
An as removed caliper slider
late caliper rebuild 003.JPG

note corrosion, the pin should be lubed and slide freely inside the rubber boot, finger pressure enough to move it.
Review this thread?
https://www.xs650.com/threads/help-with-caliper-rebuild.41676/

Last edited:
Just to echo what's been said above. I recently overhauled the front brake on my 77 XS650D and the slider bush had to be pushed out in a press. Cleaned everything up, a new rubber on a cleaned up bush and all is well. But it's absolutely essential that the caliper can float and that pin/bush.

That rubbing wear in the caliper from the disc is worrying, that definitely isn't good.

I've just been back out in the shop and trying to put the piston back in' it will maybe just start contacting the seal and it will go no further at least by hand
I tried very easy and used a c clamp to get it to retract but no go so then a little more pressure with the C-clamp still no go
The seal and the piston all look very good no corrosion on the piston the seal feels good and I did put brake fluid on the seal as a lubricant
Any suggestions I could just buy a new caliper but I can't see what is wrong with this one (at least to me )
I'll post a few picture of what I'm seeing and one of them will be a photo of far as I can only push the piston in

Attachments

• 20240328_153439.jpg
    20240328_153439.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240328_153358.jpg
    20240328_153358.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240328_153346.jpg
    20240328_153346.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240328_153320.jpg
    20240328_153320.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 10
Did you remove the seal and clean behind it?
You HAVE to do this.
You'll see why when you pry it out.
With the seal out the piston should slide freely in n out, in n out.
lube the seal before putting it back in.

I didn't and now I will
I assume there will be crud behind the seal enough so it holds out the seal just a tad
Thanks by the way !!

I take a thick piece of copper house wire, bend a short 90 and file the end flat to scrape back there til it's spotless.

Yes, cleaning that seal groove out is one of the most important steps during a caliper overhaul. Built-up crud in that groove is what usually causes the brake issues in the first place (sticking piston). Also make sure the bleed nipple is open when you try to install the piston so pressure can escape.

As always you guys rock
Here i thougt id justgo back to raising pigmy goats and quit this mechanical stuff lol

Lets try that again

Attachments

• 1000001869.jpg
    1000001869.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 10
Mission accomplished
Time to crank some Clapton and crack one
One small victory :cheers:
Wonder why my wife doesn't celebrate with me
Might be the volume or the beer:shrug:

Back