Brake caliper rebuild recommendations

D Stroy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I believe that I have some brake fluid leaking from my rear caliper (79 special). I am first going to do a check and make sure everything is tight, but after that I am suspecting that I may need to do a rebuild. There was a time when I had the brake pads out and made the idiot mistake of depressing the brake pedal a few times, potentially pushing the piston out further than it should have been. :doh: Maybe this messed up one of the o-rings or unsealed things in some way. I pushed it back it and they have been working, but I have been noticing my mufflers on that side being speckled with fluid and there being moisture around the caliper.
Anyways, when I do the rebuild, which is a good rebuild kit to purchase? I see that 650central and Mikes both have them.
While I am at it I may replace the piston itself (seems pretty rusty). Is Mikes or 650central a good place to get these? Or should I be looking elsewhere?
Thanks,
-Dustin

If you can, get a stainless piston. Someone on eBay sells them I think and they're not really any more than the normal steel one. I think Mike's and 650Central sell the same rebuild kit so it probably doesn't matter where you get it.

I ended up buying both the stainless piston and rebuild kit from kenosha_kid on ebay. I think his name is:
twowheelsfrank
aftermarket parts for classic motorcycle
Frank Jahnke
Zwischen den Hecken 54
22119 Hamburg

I was worried about doing an overseas (Germany) purchase but sure enough, everything showed up in a week and a half and you were right, same price as the regular steel. So if anyone else is looking for one, here is one reliable source.

Back