Brake switch built in to rear drum

jimmy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need some help on a rear drum brake switch problem. I bought a stock 81 xs 650 that cam with the rear brake switch that you see everywhere with the spring and two nuts. I bought a rear spoke wheel with a drum brake hub and it looks like the switch is built into it. There's wires going into the hub that come out to a threaded plastic connection. I need the part that threads onto this and has somewhere to connect my tail light too. Has anyone come across this style of rear brake switch? I'll go snap a pic and try and post it. Thanks

Jimmy

Here's some pics to clarify my rambling.

Attachments

• IMG_3477.jpg
    IMG_3477.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_3472.jpg
    IMG_3472.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_3470.jpg
    IMG_3470.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 328
And a bit more info, inside the drum, when the lever is pulled the piece that pushes the shoes goes over the sensor on the inside and makes a contact. I figure it has to be a break switch but can;t find a pic or parts anywhere.

Thats not a brake switch. Its a sensor for brake shoe wear. Brake switch is up by the brake pedal. It is operated by a spring hanging from the switch and hooked to the rear brake pedal.

Brake shoe wear indicator, didn't know they had that, thanks for the info.

You can use the backing plate, just don't hook the switch up. The newer wiring harness probably doesn't have wires for it anyway. I wanted to remove the switch from the one I have but couldn't find a matching bolt to fill the hole. It's a rather odd fine thread metric. I just left the switch in place. You barely see or notice it when the brake arm is installed. What I did do was cut the tab off that held the wires .....

TX750RearWheel2.jpg

On your 81 it has a drum brake? If so the 81 brake backing plate should fit into the older spoke wheel. That way you won't need to modify the backing plate that came with the spoke wheel.
Leo

Back