Brakes and fork springs, 650Central.com

jbbishop2

XS650 Enthusiast
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I had to tell somebody...

I have an '81 street tracker with a stock motor and the original front end. The front brake reminded me of the effectiveness of rubbing a chunk of 2x4 on the hard rubber tire of a kid's wagon - there was a lot of planning ahead, which I'd done for the first 8,000 miles I'd put on the bike (and given the tendency of the motor to hang at higher revs after the throttle is closed makes brakes that much more important - but that's a subject for another post).

On 650Central.com it says "superior pads are the single best improvement for stock brakes," so I got a set of Vesrah semi-metallic pads from my local shop. Braking performance was immediately two or three times better than the aged stock pads, but it still took a full four-finger grab to haul it down.

The other day I installed a new set of Progressive fork springs, a Brembo 11mm front brake master cylinder, and a one-piece stainless steel brake line, all from Michael at 650Central.com. The difference is huge. It now takes a fairly easy two-finger pull to stop quicker than the four-finger pull. The action of the Brembo master is SO nice.

The new fork springs (the heavy duty model, since the rear is 2.5" higher than stock and I weigh 200 lbs) replace stock springs with a 1" spacer on top. The front dives only a little under hard braking and recovers from the dive quickly, giving way better confidence and feeling of control. As a comparison, my friend has a stock '81 with a second disk added to the front (stock calipers and master cylinder, steel lines). It stops in a hurry, but with the stock springs (and spacers) the front dives tremendously under medium braking.

With the new springs the front is planted and predictable in corners. This may shame me into replacing the front tire...

I can't keep from giggling in my helmet...I loved riding this bike before but it was more of a vintage experience, y'know?

Dealing with Michael Morse at 650Central was a pleasure. I had left a message earlier in the day and he even called me back after his closing time. He had great advice, shipped the stuff out within a day and I had it a couple days later.

Last edited:
Sounds like your fun factor just doubled ! It never ceases to amaze me, the experience and resources available on this forum. I have a similar setup in mind for my forks. May have to think about putting a spacer in there on top of the springs. I'm about the same weight as you. I have dual discs w/ XS performance 16mm master cylinder. I hope I got the right one!.

Hi, Okie,

With two disks I bet you'll be stopping faster than I would. I realize it wasn't clear in my post, but I didn't put spacers in on top of the new springs. I only had them in on the old ones because the springs were soft and I wanted to keep it from diving quite as much. I wanted as much travel as possible to allow the damping more room to work.

Check out Paul Thede's suspension articles in the tech section at sportrider.com (like this one http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9604_tech/index.html), or better yet, spend $25 or so for the Race Tech Motorcycle Suspension Bible. The excellent illustrations alone are worth the price, but it's a very useful book, with clear explanations, setup and troubleshooting guides and diagnostic techniques. Good stuff.

Yeah, I just reread your orig post and saw that you had the spacers on the old setup. I'm sure the Race Tech valves are probably better, but I bought the ones from Mike's XS. Hopefully I can adjust those to help with front end dive. I'm pretty sure the old springs are shot tho, was planning on new progressive springs and a Tarrozzi fork brace. Not quite as pretty as Omars but $50 cheaper.

Emulators and a fork brace would be the next two things I'll want for mine. Michael Morse runs both (Tkat brace, I'm guessing Race Tech emulators) on his test bike and says it works really well. I hadn't looked at the Tarozzi fork brace yet; thanks for the tip.

You can experiment with fork oil amounts as well. I don't know about the 34mm forks but the 35s definitely work better with more than the stock amount of oil in them.

Gordon Scott makes a killer fork brace.

5562596608_bc92917bb8_b.jpg

DSC_0316ww by Matt Francosky, on Flickr

This is my current front brake setup....

5601823216_c2b3f47704_b.jpg

Untitled by Matt Francosky, on Flickr

I have a severe fork diving issue, I am looking to completely rebuild them using HD springs and gold valve emulators.

p!nK

>jb, can you post pics of the mc and hose setup? Thanks, RD

Sure, as long as you promise not to give me any grief about how unfinished and/or dirty the bike is...

full

full

>Did you use a kit from pandemonium to put the Brembo on?

Hi, Inked,

I only have the Brembo master cylinder on the handlebar, with the stock XS caliper on the fork, so I didn't need a kit. Even without the Brembo caliper it stops great.

Back