broken dampening spring on the primary drive gear

Yes, I think these broken springs are just like a broken spoke on a wheel. That puts more stress on the remaining ones and they start breaking as well. I highly recommend upgrading to the newer set-up. That's why they did it, to reduce this spring breaking.

Ahh, that's probably true.

Okej, I agree that a new later model type would be the best. But what about old second hand springs, 30 years old, that can brake in the near future? And would it not then be better to have new fresh springs in my existing basket?

And I don't know about the quality of the second hand bought clutch. My existing one works okej.

BTW, what about the pushrod, etc. Anything else I would have to change or modify to use the later model clutch assembly?

So the choices are:

-new springs and bolt/nut (red loctite and jack in the bolt or welding, to secure the nut)
-second hand complete assembly '80 or later.

M

I bought a used complete clutch assembly for my Dt400 dirt bike on ebay for $20.00 +10.00 shipping,and it's like new.I was looking on ebay,as I have insomnia and get tired of taking sleeping pills[I take 6 pain pills per day as it is for back pain]and stay up late and look at stuff on ebay.It's like new,friction plates measured perfect,and steel plates are dead flat.You just have to look at the right time.Good luck. lha

Insomnia and pain related issues is tough to handle. Sorry about that. And pills sometimes doesn't solve it neither. Have you tried meditation or a "mindfulnes" based 8 week program? Studies has showed that it can help people with pain or/and sleep problems. It doesn't cure pain related problems, but people say it tends to makes the pain more easy to handle, which improve their everyday life. Good luck!

The problem is that there are almost no second hand parts for the xs available in Sweden. So the shipping for clutch assembly from for example USA is approx 48 dollar. But I will keep my eyes open.

I've also been in contact with the australian guy who sells the kit intended for racing. He also uses bolt/nut. The main problem isn't to tight enough since the gear should be able to move, but to secure the nut. And I think it will be enough with red loctite, a punch in the bolt or spot welding.

I would put the bolt assembly on,and weld the nuts with a wire welder as there's less heat than stick-arc welding.As long as you use grade 8{hardened] bolts,and don't heat it too much,as to lose it's temper,you'll be OK. lha

I would put the bolt assembly on,and weld the nuts with a wire welder as there's less heat than stick-arc welding.As long as you use grade 8{hardened] bolts,and don't heat it too much,as to lose it's temper,you'll be OK. lha

How does one know if they are hardened grade 8?

M

How does one know if they are hardened grade 8?

M
The markings on the hex head will be slashes at the points of the hex,or numeric markings will be there.I don't know about European bolts and how they would be marked.Ask someone where you buy the bolts. Good luck. lha

Put everything together yesterday. Used Loctite 2701, since these two parts could be considered to be permanent locked together. Feel a bit more safe with the stronger loctite. After talking to the loctite staff, they also thought that since the locking surface between the nut and the bolt is so little (small bolt and just half size nut), it will not be so hard to unmount them, even if I would need some heating. So if one don't have the habit or need to dissambly the basket and driving gear, perhaps the 2701 is a better choice. The new spring should last at least 10 years I hope...

After test driving the bike everything seems to be working fine. Don't know if I'm eight, but the clutch seems to act a little smoother.

My intention was to only fix the starter gear issue. My first try ended with success excpet that it didn't disngage quickly enough. SO I diasasambled everything again and it was then I discovered the spring issue. I however strecthed the starter gear såpring some, but when I tried it today it doesnä't disengage completely at all. A bit winding all the time. Just ones after starting, it disengaged completely. Then, starting again, it didn't. So now I have to deal with this issue again.

MOre about thiss in my other thread...

But thanks again regarding the bakset/driving gear spring issue.

M

Glad to hear that you sorted out one problem. A lot of the time,it happens like that,fix one problem,and another rears it's ugly head.If stretching the spring made it worse,I would think that a new spring would fix it.Good luck. lha

Back