Caliper sleeves sticking?

Johnt3

Still learning...
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a problem with my caliper sleeves sticking in the rubber boots.
I've cleaned the boots and polished the sleeves and they still stick when I install them in the calipers.I've tried using lithium grease and tried using some synthetic grease.They work good until they sit for a little bit then they seem to freeze up, in fact they are a sob to get back apart! I've cleaned the rubber with dawn dish washing soap and water to get rid of the grease that didn't work. Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

Did they get a bath in fork oil, brake fluid or brake cleaner somewhere along the way?
Can't say I have run into a sticky one on an XS, some other brands have issues with corrosion.

Thinking out loud in the ethosphere, rubber doesn't like petroleum, accelerates rot, gets sticky (old slot-car racing trick). Always used teflon based dri-lube on rubber not meant to stick.

Not on my watch, but you never know...I just pulled them before I cleaned the caliper bodies to paint and reseal them. I thought the grease was swelling them so I tried the synthetic stuff thinking that it wouldn't do that.They slide real nice then a no go after they sit.They were in pretty good shape so I didn't think they would be a problem.
So much for thinkin':D

TwoManyXS1Bs, I was thinkin' again.:D I've got some Teflon based powder that I used on my old r/c stuff back in the day,I'll try that and see if that works.

Is there paint in the bore where the rubber fits?
I have been using syl-glide on all my rubber parts with great success so far.

Yes,there is paint in the bores gggGary. I will remove it before I reinstall the boots and sleeves,but they stick outside of the calipers too. I'll keep the syl-glide in mind. I've heard of it working well.

Some how I have ended up with two different tubes of Sil-Glyde... One I bought at NAPA, and it has the NAPA logo on it. The other I bought at Adavance Auto on the same shelf where they keep the brake fluid, the logo is AGS, and it is called "Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant." The color is slightly different in the two tubes, but it is probably the same stuff. Anyways, the AGS tube says "Caliper Slides" in big letters right on the front of the tube.
I had the exact problems Johnt3 had until I started using the Sil-Glyde. I also "pack" the rubber sleeve boots -- there is a "bellows" at each end of the sleeve, and I completely fill them with the Sil-Glyde before assembling.

BTW, the Sil-Glyde works a whole lot better at stopping brake squeal than those little two dollar packets of Brake Grease that are next to the Parts Store cash register...

Last edited:
Well hell, I should have waited to use the Sil-glyde. The Teflon powder worked pretty damn good though.:thumbsup: TwoManyXS1Bs thanks for that idea. I'll keep an eye on the calipers for sticking and use the Sil-glyde if they do.
gggGary, I went ahead and cleaned out the paint to make sure that wasn't "helping" the problem.
I appreciate the help guys.

Back