Cam Chain Master Link

prodgod

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm working on rebuilding my '77 XS650 engine, and I am getting ready to start reassembling the top end. I was planning on replacing the cam chain, but was told by the PO who I'm friends with that he just recently replaced the cam chain with a new OEM one. I ground down the rivets on the master link to get the chain off, so I would like to get a new one and reuse the cam chain instead of replacing the entire chain. The master links on mikesxs says that they may not fit original chains, and the ones on 650central say that they only fit the chains that they sell. Where would I be able to get a master link to fit an OEM '77 cam chain?

Thanks,
Mike

Try a Yamaha dealer. They list 2 on the parts diagram. One was used in over 172 different models all the way up through the mid 2000's. The other is pretty 650 specific, only being used on them and the old TX750 twin. They list 2 chains as well so I guess it depends on which chain you have. I'd take the old link with me to compare.

you can't usually. OEM chains are 1 piece with no master and the cases are split to do them. New chains are split for the reason of no one wants to split a motor to put a chain in on a mild refresh of a motor.

I ordered an OEM one for my cb500/4 and thats what i got told. Split the cases for oem or order aftermarket with a link.

I'm pretty sure the original chain had a link. All I've had apart did and if you think about it, it had to have one in order to fit the chain through the rear tensioner.

well, in 99% of most cases since the chains were put on with the engine being put together on the line you probably won't find one. As said, the OEM honda one i ordered was endless for that reason with no option of ordering an OEM one with a link. So he ordered me an aftermarket chain and master.

The chain that is in my XS engine (OEM) had a rivet master link. I'm just trying to find a new one to replace it because I needed to grind down the rivets so I could get the cam chain apart.

The cam chains in both my Honda V45C and VF700S engines were endless chains though.

XS650s are not endless from the factory. On several I've had apart, I know I was the 1st guy in there since the factory put it together and they had master links. Like I said, the dealer should have one.

why did you take it off anyway? everythird day a new post pops up asking about head removal without splitting the chain.
any ways, buy both styles, take em home, compare, take back the one you dont need, or, get a whole new chain. iknow, iknow,-budget.
also, unles that new chain the PO put on is still like supernew, if you put a new link on it, wont there be a tight spot rite there, making it difficult to adjust the cahin tension? not sure, but just wondering.

i went to the yamaha dealer the other day to get a cam chain link - i split the chain prior to reading about cam chain removal without splitting.

just ask for a cam chain rivet link, the thing cost 4 bux

Thanks guys. I talked to the local Yamaha dealer and they are ordering the master link for me because they didn't have it in stock. Costs only $4.51 :)

Back