Cam/Crank chain timing riddle

NOOOOOOOOO! I spoke too soon, I went to start it up again today to tune it up and it wouldnt turn on. Then it started again with the massive kick back nearly breaking my ankle. I looked at the timing as it started to pour and it looks like it moved forward again. The only thing I did was while it was idling I turned the tensioner out until it was even with the adjusting bolt. I think its time to take it to a shop, I have no idea what it could be, especially since it was running fine right before this procedure.

UPDATE, this night has more turns than an M night shamamlama movie.

I didnt have to pull the engine to re-time the motor. I removed the tensioner all the way, and it give enough for the crank to spin free enough without the cam to move. It takes a little bit to get everything lined up since it catches every once in a while but I got it retimed and then put the tenioner back in. It fired up! Hopefully I set the tension right and this weekend it will get tuned and put back together.

It sounds a lot louder, mechanically that is, like some metal is rubbing or hitting, not sure if this is just because the breather hoses are not attached yet and I can hear the internals more or not. But I dont want to mess anything up by taking it out just yet.

yup. dont ride it yet. check your valves. Then when you get back from ridding it, check the cam tensioner, then the valves again, then you should be set.

I'm thinking your chain is toast, all stretched out and in need of replacement, by the way it so easily jumps out of time. A new chain can be had for not much more than $40, lots cheaper than a shop visit.

I'm thinking your chain is toast, all stretched out and in need of replacement, by the way it so easily jumps out of time...

Seconded!

A new chain will be so tight that you'll barely be able to put it together.
A chain that can skip the bottom sprocket is seriously stretched...

Just checking - the cam chain guides are the correct type for the motor and the cam chain tensioner has been re-assembled correctly. I'd also support the stretched chain theory but if it was running before you changed the guides with out slipping a tooth, perhaps its more to do with a re-assembly issue?
Be good to see some pics of you engine if you pull it again, specifically the guides and the tensioner assembly

Hien - I have been banging my head for a lot longer with this situation. I dont get it either.

Paul- Once I pulled the front cam guide I compared it to the new one I bought, they were the same. I ordered from xs650 central, the one I bought is pictured below from the website. This is the only part I replaced, and some gaskets. The tensioner assembly I did not replace, sorry if I used the wrong wordage and stated I did. I also have TYPE E tensioner, with the lock nut, copper washer and acorn nut. I will double check I have it assembled in the correct order as the picture shown below.

Angus - I will check the valves tonight, check the tension take it around the block and then recheck everything, hopefully nothing gets damaged.

5twins & TwoMany- do you have any suggestions of where to get the chain, and which to get? I have seen that the peanut cam chain is cheaper, $39 , (on xs650 central), but is it cheaply made or better than getting a regular chain, $64?

Thanks for all the help guys, seriously. I just want to go ride while the weather is still good. :bike: I have only gone to a mechanic twice for my cars, I would hate to have to start taking my bike because I dont know whats going on. :confused:

Attachments

• cam chain guide.jpg
    cam chain guide.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 145
  • TensionerID.jpg
    TensionerID.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 225
Be aware that there are different cam chains. Be sure you buy the right size!

Could you take a look at the back camchain guide? is that in good condition?

Hein

Thanks Fernando - I would be good to see what yours looks like specifically - just to see if there are any problems associated with it.

I'm sure we'll get you back on the road.

Fundamentally, from what you have said, nothing has changed, bar the chain guides, so the possibilities are relatively small - chain, tensioner, tension, timing method

Between the;

Cam Chain- DID 219FTSS x 106 L and Tsubaki BF05M x 106

the Tsubaki is heavier.

I would go the Tsubaki in any of my next projects. Just MHO!

You have the cam timing down pat but I always like to include this link as reference;
http://www.650motorcycles.com/CamTiming.html

I think you chain is long past replacement and must be jumping a tooth.

Time will tell if you compare the old to the new.

Good Luck.

Attachments

• XS650 Tsubaki Cam Chain.JPG
    XS650 Tsubaki Cam Chain.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 173
I put it all together, checked the valves, the tensioner and took it out for a spin. On my way back it died and I couldnt get it fired up again. I am going to check timing and tension in the morning when its light out. I still noticed the motor seemed much louder, like something is out of wack, it seemed to run fine and rev fine, but something was concerning hearing it so loud. Hopefully it didnt jump out of time but we shall see. :shrug:

The reason it died seemed to be the ATU pin was out and it must of slipped causing the timing of the ignition to be off, quick fix with a new pin and it turns on again just fine. I still have the engine sound though. It is a mechanical sound, not exhaust. I am trying to post a video, first time doing it so let me know if it doesnt work. The bike is at idle, with the ATU cover off and the acorn nut off the cam chain tensioner, I pulled it to make sure it was all intact and also took a photo of it.

Any thoughts on the noise?

Attachments

• KIMG0109.jpg
    KIMG0109.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 199
So there are supposed to be two washers on that unit? I have one copper washer, it can be seen on the first nut, it is indeed separate from the first lock nut, it is just laying on the locknut in the picture, and it goes between the motor and the lock nut. Am I supposed to have a second between the lock nut and the acorn nut?

Back