Can a speedo cable be shortened????

mrpink

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the title says. I need to remove about 8" out of my speedo cable, possible? If not, what are my options? Having 8" of extra cable dangling around my front wheel does not sound safe to me.

With some cables it's easy with others it's a pita .
With the XS cable it's easier than most . Most meter shops (a dying art) have a device , dies etc that can put a square shape on a wound , round cable . Barring that option the wheel end has a fitting swagged on that the cable "can" be removed from the cable or copied . Due to the nature of the material and its environment I've never had any luck soldering to the cable even with high tech flux and high temperature silver bearing solder . Instead I measure the cable and make the replacement end just a few thou larger . I made a small die to fit in the hydraulic press that was simply a v block with a round groove in the bottom and a matching die for the top with relief just several thou smaller than the piece .

As for shortening the outer . Pick which end you want to attack and carefully cut off wheel the end leaving just enough cable remaining to get a hold of . You will see that turning the cable one way will reduce its diameter as it comes out of the fitting . Most ends are swagged on with a hex die that is usually sold as a cable crimp at an electronics supply or even Radio Shack . In a pinch I slit a cheap socket down the middle and brazed the pieces to a pair of vice grip jaws . ( if I had it to do over again I'd tack the socket to vice grips first and not have to bother with alignment later ) I still have the tool .

The important thing is to end up with the same difference between inner and outer as you started with . This holds true for control cables as well as Tach and Speedo .

Hope I gave you some idea

~kop

Last edited:
ive been thinking the same thing.

wouldnt it be conceivable to cut out whatever length of the outer shielding you need to shorten the cable by (from the centre of the cable), then put a bit of fibre tape or glass tape to tie it back together?

After that, couldnt you just trim the core wire to whatever over lengths is standard on each end of the cable?

Back