Carb/gas problem

Big Tom

Big Tom
Reaction score
restored a 1978 XS650 SE last year...got her running well... late in the season. Filled the tank with gas (10% Ethanol) and added the appropriate (red) Stabil.
(yeah...should have used the new green stuff:doh:) stored for the winter.
Started her up for the first time 2 months ago and she wouldn't run above idle (starving for gas) ... Pulled the carbs and the jets were plugged with some greyish white granular crap. Cleaned everything out and put in fresh 91 Octane non ethanol... ran great for over 100 miles.
Then filled up again...but non ethanol not available:(... filled up with 91 Oct, 10% Ethanol. Bike sat for 10 days and I have the same problem again....

What are my fellow 650 riders thoughts? I know I should put fuel filters on as there are non currently installed. Is this an Ethanol problem? BTW...tank is uncoated but clean...:banghead:

with no inline filters i bet something got through and plugged something up. rinse the tank with clean gas. pull the petcocks and clean their filters. go to auto zone and get new fuel lines and inline filters

with no inline filters i bet something got through and plugged something up. rinse the tank with clean gas. pull the petcocks and clean their filters. go to auto zone and get new fuel lines and inline filters

+1. It doesn't take much to plug up one of the small passages in the XS carbs. I'd dismantle the carbs again and clean them thoroughly. If you have compressed air, blow it out every orifice you can find. If you don't, find a buddy who does.

BTW, I've always run 93 octane in my bike. It doesn't ping and seems to start better. Down here where I live, 91 isn't even available. But pretty much all the gasoline around here has ethanol in it now. My bikes run fine with it, but the gas mileage drops by about 10%.

hey man you live in michigan. do you have meijer gas stations up there? if so and you are near one fill up with gas there. they have a big ol' sign outside that says "100% gasoline" i fill all me vehicles up at the one near me whenever i get the chance and there is a huge difference.

good luck on getting the problem fixed!

Back