Carb issues: choke on runs for a few seconds and dies

Ok fellas, here's a video. Hopefully this will be all the info you'll need. I know y'all can connect the dots, I just need to supply the right dots. :) I now did something to the floats it appears. I'm off to work soon so I won't be on till tomorrow.

Nice video, yeah your roads are like our alleys! First car passed I about shit! It'd take me awhile to get used to the opposite side.

presumably you have vacuum taps on the tank yes ? did you set the taps to prime to fill the fuel bowls ? I have straight on/off taps on mine not vacuum but from what I understand the oem taps supplied fuel when the engine was running which creates a vacuum to pull the fuel through. When the engine is off there is no vacuum to create fuel flow to the bowls unless the taps are set to prime. Easy check is to pull the fuel lines off the carbs and check fuel is flowing into a container.

Apologies but you have to eliminate the obvious sometimes.
If you are still not getting fuel to the bowls you'll need to check the float levels again and remove and clean the float valve assemblies and make sure the needles are free to fall when the floats drop. Easy check is to blow in the carb fuel inlets and operate each of the the floats.

Odd about your fuel flow... and odd that it's on both sides...perhaps open the filler cap (vacuum seal?)... although that would also stop any fuel from entering the lines, I would think.

If you can drop the bowls, you might be able to raise/lower the floats to see if they're hanging up? Maybe you have the gasket on backwards and it's blocking a hole?

Was trying to focus on your 'clear tube', 'bout went dizzy. I'm seeing some kinda reflection in that clear tube, possibly the top of the fuel level? Which looks to be higher than the bowl gasket?

hey brassneck am I wrong about how the vacuum taps work ?
I've never used any but I understood that you had to put the taps on prime to get them to flow gas under gravity from the tank ?:shrug::shrug:

hey brassneck am I wrong about how the vacuum taps work ?
I've never used any but I understood that you had to put the taps on prime to get them to flow gas under gravity from the tank ?:shrug::shrug:

Nope, you got it right... with the tap in the "ON" or "RES" position, it needs vacuum to pull fuel into the carb...with it in "PRI" then it just flows straight like a manual tap. Essentially the vacuum petcocks replace the "OFF" function in theory...but unfortunately don't seem to work long term. :(

From looking at his video, it looks like manual taps on his tank...which is why I was thinking that there may be a vent issue stopping the fuel from flowing, but I doubt it now, seeing as there's fuel in the lines going to the carbs, but doesn't look like fuel coming out of the bowl...so blockage somewhere.

I seem to remember reading somewhere on this forum a couple of years ago about the wrong fuel bowl gasket being used which blocked some channel or other but I can't remember now:(

Thanks everyone, I got it today! What I did Knowing I was getting fuel up to the carbs but not into the bowls. I took the bowls off, disconnected fuel lines from tank, (after the fuel filters) sprayed carb cleaner in lines and blew compressed air through. Found I had a float needle sticking. Took it out and cleaned it. Float moved awesome! I still need some little adjustments. Left side a little rich and right side lean some. And then........took it for a ride and went through all the gears. I went about three miles and came back towards the house. On my way back, it died. Pushed it a couple blocks home and connected a timing light to find I have lost spark:wtf::banghead::mad: all my fuses are good. Timing is dead nuts! kicks over in one kick. Well when it had spark...lol. I hope it's not another Hall effect sensor. I got the effin thing wired right....anyway I appreciate all the input. You guys know your shit about these old school machines. Hopefully I'll get there too by learning on here.

Back