case assembly

Doug79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am assembling my cases. To make a long story short, the crank will rotate freely in one direction but will not rotate in the other direction. it gets very tight in about 1/4 of a rotation. Nothings connected to the crank and the cam chain is free and not touching anything. W.T.F??? Also the cases didn't come down flush and had to be pulled together with mounting fasteners. I assumed that was because of the crush needed on the three seals.

Follow up. I had the cases just torqued to the first stage of 7 ft-lbs. I back everything off and the crank is free. The whole thing doesn't make sense.

Did you make sure the alignment pins on the cases were seated properly in the bearings. The cases should have been nearly flush. How far were they apart. Not sure why it would rotate in one direction and not the other.

Did you make sure the alignment pins on the cases were seated properly in the bearings. The cases should have been nearly flush. How far were they apart. Not sure why it would rotate in one direction and not the other.
That was the problem, my index marks showed that the race was on the pin but it wasn't. Still can't see why it would only bind in one direction but as of now i don't care. Going to start fresh tomorrow and get everything cleaned and resealed and ,hopefully, put together.

I would check the races carefully to see if the pins dented them when you tightened it that way.

When you think you have the crank placed correctly, you can lift one end of the crank just the slightest amount and turn the bearings and if the pins are in the holes in the races you can feel the pins bump against the edge of the holes. Then you know it's right.

Last edited:
I took the cases apart and checked the race on the left side. that was the race that was misaligned. what happened was that the bearing just pushed the locating pin into the case. the race is very heavy material close to 3/8" thick. the bearing and race look and feel good. reassembled with everything located properly and snugged up the 4 acorn nuts on the center mains and the crank spins freely one way and still lockes up the other way. I thought it best to just call it a day. These cases are a used set and I am wondering if there is a line bore issue. I have my original cases and I am going to pull the crank and install it in my original cases to see if I have the same issue. That should tell me if it is a crank or bearing problem.

interesting thread. my pin is still up enough to locate the bearing race. I installed the crank in my original cases and it turns free in both directions. Thats a good news, bad news deal. Good, the crank bearings are ok but bad, cause I flushed about 6 or 7 hundred dollars worth of ceramic coating on the cases I was trying to use. Oh well, shit happens!

Doug, there is another consideration.

The pins not only lock the races in rotation (so the oiling holes line up), but they also lock them in lateral position. Which is VERY important for the rightside ball beaing, as it establishes and maintains the crank's lateral position (since the roller bearings can't). Also, the primary gear and nut need to be affixed, sandwiching that bearing between the flywheel and gear, so that the crank is held in that proper lateral position.

Your crank may have simply skidded to one side, contacting the case, and locking it up, because:

1. The primary gear wasn't affixed.
2. The positioning pin for the rightside ball bearing may be too low (only the rounded/tapered top exposed) to properly position that bearing laterally.
3. Either/or or both 1 and 2...

2M, I think I probably just got caught trying to use a set of used cases. Even tho the cases were carefully inspected there is something wrong with them and Ill never figure out what. The primary gears were never removed and the crank was only handled enough to lift it out of the original cases and laid in the new. After reinstalling the crank back in the original cases it rotates freely. I'l going to clean and coat the original cases and be done with it.

Back