Chain guard build.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve been working on this chain guard for a couple of days, made a couple I didn’t like, but this is the final product. The bends were done with a bloody big hammer and a length of heavy steel on which to bang – keeps the material straight and flat! Bloody difficult to bend this length by hand though.

I was unsure of what to do with the tail end, I did consider curving it around same shape as the sprocket, but with a new chain, it’d stick out the rear a few inches looking a bit odd, didn’t like that idea, so I decided to just angle it up from the rear mounting point

I might drill some lightning holes on the side, should make the bike go faster.

I had to cut a very small section from the top of the guard to clear the shocky springs, the shock springsI have are a bigger diameter than stock shock springs.

I’ve also entertained the idea of removing the angled up extension on the left side cover, that bit looks really odd.

On another note, I picked up my seat from the auto trimmers. He’s had it for five weeks and not touched it. Took it to another auto trimmer who quoted $600. Not bloody likely, I’ll visit a few other trimmers tomorrow, at this point though, it’s looking like I might have to cover the seat myself.

Haven’t heard from the tyre shop, if they haven’t got back to me by end of next week I’ll go elsewhere. I’m fitting Shinko 712s, which I’ve read good reports on.

Not having much luck lately.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 76
Aluminium, I guess? 2 or 3 mm thick? I have the same problem with my shock springs being too large in diameter for the stock chain guard. One more thing to look into....

Measure and cut a section out, it's not noticeable. The chain guard serves no purpose other than to appease the law. If a chain breaks it will quickly roll up behind the left cover and destroy the crankcase, I doubt whether it would even touch the chain guard. If it does, it will just rip it off, such are the mounts.

Back