Charging issues

xander18

Hotrod Hobo
Reaction score
So my bike that was in pieces two days ago dragged my ass 150 miles yesterday with minimal complaints. But my battery was dead when I got here.

Back home I put a battery charger/tester on the bike. I switched it to the alternator test mode and it said 0. But I turned it to the battery % and it was steadily climbing. So I assumed the bike is charging but my tester was screwed up or some such thing.

Anyway, question 1 is could it be a bad battery? The battery sat for two years with little to no use.

Question 2 is what's wrong with it if it's not the battery. What usually fails first? Regulator? Rectifier? Brushes?

I'd replace the battery first. It's cheaper than throwing money at your charging system.

Failing that, you'll have to look at your rotor, stator, brushes, primarily. But I'm not qualified to guide you through it. There are threads on here as to how to do it, but they're a bit above me to be able to run them to ground.

I'm having this issue too... my battery will not seem to hold a charge. I'll spring for a replacement soon, but if that fails, then it's off to someone who knows a multimeter up close and personal.

TC

So I found TeeCat's thread on his charging issues, that was helpful. I think I'll bring the battery to a Yamaha dealership tomorrow and have them check it.

Any other advice still welcome, I'm in an only semi-friendly city and kind of want to ride it home.

Oh hey TeeCat. Yeah, unfortunately I need it to ride soon. I'll probably pick up the new battery anyway, this one sat for two years.

I think you should. I'll be ordering one tomorrow. Mine is only a year old, but it sat out in the cold shed all winter with no maintainer on it, and the bike hardly gets ridden because I'm always working on it. So I suppose that constitutes battery abuse in my case.

Hope all goes well.

TC

I'll pick one up tomorrow and let you know how the bike charges after that. Just read through your other thread, electrical is frustrating as all get out. Good luck, it'll all be worth it when you're riding it.

I bought a new battery in Albany, so it had enough charge to get me to Boston. However, the bike still has a net loss in the charging system. I put a volt meter to the battery while the bike was off and it read 12.6 (they didn't fully charge it, screw them). Turn the bike on and at idle it reads 12.09+/- and when I rev it up it gets up to 12.25 or so.

So the bike still isn't charging, but my question is what would be wrong if it's partially charging but not enough? Brushes worn? Rec/reg failing? It's only kind of broken...

Back