Cheating on the XS650 w/ the 750

xs650special

James
Reaction score
Hey everyone I have to admit that lately I have been considering going for a 750 triple instead of the 650 simply because a nice example of the triple can be had for less than a nice 650. Anyone out there had the experience of owning both? What can be expected in terms of reliability/parts availability/cost/general fun?

Kind of agree...If I could find a super clean standard model triple that has been looked after I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

And...I ride my KZ650 a lot compared to my XS. Its fast and it handles and stops pretty freakin good. I see why it was one of the superbikes of the 70's. 750/4 Hondas don't stand a chance.

The triple is supposed to have some issues. I saw an old kz750 twin the other day. It's the same size bike as the xs650 and though it looks lighter it's abt 30lbs heavier. But - it's 80lbs lighter than the xs750. I'd like to ride the kz750 sometime. Might be able to.

One model of the xs750 triple is very squared and ugly. I've seen both types the good looking version might be called a Special, not sure. There are a few threads here on the xs750.

A couple of guys here have them and im sure they will add some experience/knowledge.

A couple of links for your own research and club opinions.

They have issues like any old bike. They are NOT supported anywheres near like the XS650.
ignition is fussy the points version (3 sets) is a nightmare big pain.
Cam chains can be an issue
primary chain ditto, clutch too.
The engine is much more complicated than the XS650.
Shim on bucket valve setting.
Exhausts are nearly always rotted.
shaft drive limits customising
They are SMOOTH.
Buy em cheap and sell it cheap too.
You will have nowhere near the cool factor of the 650.
It's the time of year to find deals on bikes.

If I didn't want an XS650 I would move well up into the 90's or 00's and dodge a bunch of old unsupported bike issues.

Honda 750 900 1000 twin cam customs 79-81 are found very cheap and have a great track record for reliability. The F model twin cams are nicer but the owners tend to value them highly.
For a bit more than 2K you can find very nice liter class gentleman's express bikes from the early 2000s FZ1s, bandit 1200s, 919 hondas

+1 on the bucket-and-shim valves. That and the wonky second gear is what convinced me to cut my losses after getting nearly $1000 into trying to rehab a '78.

Do wish I'd kept the tank tho...

The XS750 is a good bike, but as has been stated, you won't enjoy the same parts support you get from the XS650. A common issue with the XS750, 850, 1100 is blown 2nd gear and sometimes 1st. I don't think the gear wheels are available and you have to split the cases to fix it. You can go after the dogs and slots with a Dremel to make it right again. I had the issue with an XS1100. I was able to replace the gear wheels. I also moved a washer to give 2nd a tighter engagement. The XS1100 is probably the worst because of the horsepower.

Adjusting the valves with shim and bucket is nothing to be afraid of. It's a big pain if you compare it to the XS650, but once you get after it it's no big deal. The timing chain replacement is a piece of cake too.

If you get an XS750, make sure it's a good one or you'll be spending a lot of time on eBay looking for parts.

custom-yamaha-xs750.jpg

Kawi KZ 900-1000 are still great bikes with a good parts supply. The Kawi Concours was built from 1986 through the latter 2000's with very few changes. Excellent bikes with good after market support.

Thanks for the responses all; from the sounds out it, many agree that the yamie triple is not really what I'm looking for. I kinda of like the idea of a japanese triple as opposed to the more $ brit bikes but im not gonna rule it out totally but probably gonna go for a nice 650 twin. The thought of having to work on the gears kinda puts me off; from my experience on the 650 the transmission is pretty rock solid. I have considered a 919/599 honda seriously. right now i have a cb200 that i replaced the entire ignition system. I got it since i just moved out of the country and into town but miss the 650 power. Thinking about flipping it and going back to my fav bike that ive ever ridden, xs650.

I have a 1978 xs750 and a 1979 xs650.

The two bikes couldn't be more different.

The 750 does have more power, but I still wouldn't call it fast. The 750 is a heavier and longer bike, and I think it is best suited for highway cruising. The triple motor and shaft drive are SO SMOOTH, you just glide along. It feels like a big pig in stop and go city driving though, the extra wheelbase length and weight are very apparent at lower speeds. Get a 1978 or newer 750 because they have CDI ignitions, you don't want to mess with 3 sets of points... they make the 650 dual setup seem like a breeze.

There is very little aftermarket or parts support for the 750, so eventually you'll end up needing to buy a 'parts bike' too, since its by far the easiest and cheapest way to get spares for the 750. don't buy a beater 750, you'll pay for it in repair bills over and over again. Buy the nicest one you can find, or don't buy one at all.

I very rarely ride the 750. My xt500 and xs650 are both more fun, lighter, and handle better. The 750 is better on the interstate, but I prefer my Harley Superglide for all day cruising... so I'm not really sure where the 750 fits in. I only paid $500 for it, and its pristine, so I keep it mostly as garage decoration (its NOT the Special model, its the pretty one with the factory café-ish tail and gas tank with knee indents).

Personally, I think the 750 Specials are a waste of time, fat, ugly, and not fast enough. The only real saving grace of the 750 is how smooth the ride is and how good the 'sport' / 'cafe' model looks.

Here's my 1978 xs750 Sport:
CIMG0179_zps7f4b1f7c.jpg

Back