Chrome covers?

takehikes

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I’ve been surprised I can’t find chromed or polished alternator or clutch covers (The whole cover). CB750 another popular old bike with a large following has them available but I can’t find anything for us. I guess I’ll just pull mine and get them plated.

Personally, I prefer the look of polished alloy over chrome, at least for engine parts. Heck, who am I kidding, I like it on wheels, forks, and brake parts too, lol.

NewWheelMounted3.jpg

Got near 70 here today so I pulled her out for the first time this year. Hadn't been run since last season. Petcock on Prime, choke on, and she fired up after 3 or 4 kicks. I was pretty happy about that. This bike seems to be getting better and better the more miles I put on her.

Cb750 has a much bigger market and fan base. They collect higher prices. Honda produced spare parts for a LONG time and still do make quite a few.

Lots of quality reproduction parts coming out of japan because people pay for them.

All this means lots of spare parts to polish and chrome - cause people will pay for it.

Early cb750 will crush an early xs price wise.

I got the swingarm, motor mounts and exhaust chromed for $140 plus tax. The catch is I had all my metal prep done myself. All the chrome shop had to do was give the parts the chemical bath and hang them to plate. The major cost of plating is the metal prep.
DSCN0367.JPGDSCN0368.JPGDSCN0370.JPGDSCN0371.JPG

I got the swingarm, motor mounts and exhaust chromed for $140 plus tax. The catch is I had all my metal prep done myself. All the chrome shop had to do was give the parts the chemical bath and hang them to plate. The major cost of plating is the metal prep.
Right but those are all steel parts. What did you do for the cases?

I polished the side cases and most of the alloy parts. Aftermarket plating on aluminum is never as good as factory plating IMHO. Chrome over aluminum will blister if/as the aluminum starts to oxidize. PITA:shrug:
DSCN0415-001.JPG

Back