Clutch rod seal leaking?? pics

from what i am seeing on mikes the clutch rod , bearing and seal can be done without splitting the case . it seems you just have to remove the left cover and counter sprocket . am i missing something ?

The problem is that on the outside part of the case where the push rod seal sits, there's is no chamfer for installing the seal. The chamfer is on the inside of the case. You can get around this problem by putting a little bit of a chamfer to the lip of casing around the seal.... Helps prevent damage to the seal...

Posted via Mobile

Yes, removing both seals is easy. The push rod seal, pull out the rod pry out the seal. The factory seals hav a rounded lip around the seal. Replacements this lip is beveled to make installation easier. As Bruce says you need to bevel the hole in the case to help install thre seal without damage.
I use a #3 Phillips head screwdriver as an installation tool. When ready to install the seal, drop a washer on the shaft of the screw driver, the hole should be about the same as the shaft, the outside diameter should be bigger than the seal. Now grease the shaft and seal, slide the seal down the shaft. Now put the shaft into the push rod hole, this keeps the seal straight in the hole, a firm push and it should pop right in.
Changing the bushing before you pop in the new seal is a good idea. I think someone linked the Mike's XS sites instructions on how to change the bushing.
I might add that on the bikes with a two piece rod get the bushing out before trying to get the ball other half of the rod out. They come out easier that way.
A small diameter extending rod with a magnet on it works extremely well to pull the ball and rod out.
Then just put the new parts back in. Push rod last.
The main shaft seal, behind the sprocket, comes out about as easy. Take off the sprocket, there is a sleeve behind the sprocket that goes thru the seal.Slide this out of the seal and off the shaft. Now you have plenty of room to pull and replace the seal. It's made like the push rod seal, a beveled lip on the seal.
Follow Mike's instructions on the busahing and it comes right out.
Leo

thanks every one . this is a great site for info . i was using another site that was not at all helpful . ( also have no clue what a chamfer is lol )

Last edited:
A chamfer is just taking the edge off. I like to use a flat head screwdriver like a deburring tool, not too sharp to gouge the hole. If you dont take the edge of the hole down, it will slice the rubber clean off of the new pushrod seal, and ruin it.

Now grease the shaft and seal, slide the seal down the shaft. Now put the shaft into the push rod hole, this keeps the seal straight in the hole, a firm push and it should pop right in.

Do you grease the whole seal, or do you put gasket sealer around the edge?

I'm getting ready to have to do this myself...hope the pm's job doesn't just come out leaving me with no seal before I get back to my parts and tools....

Back