Coming out of first gear XS1

Cpkid

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Getting the XS1 hopefully running good before a teardown over the winter. I rebuilt carbs, adjusted valves, points and replaced plugs . Rewired it pretty much after years of hackers owning it im sure. It now runs pretty good BUT!!!
It intermittently pops out of first gear. I replaced clutch cable and adjusted and lubed Clutch release assy . It has bb in the other end of shaft. has good rotella 15/40 oil.
I haven't run it much just up and down my road ( illegally I'm sure ) . Also hear some funky mechanical clunking from time to time going on. Any thoughts? I'm hoping it's not gear related , but my gut tells me it is. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
CPKID

You can check this, under your right case cover. There should be a couple of small coil springs in there too.

Attachments

• gear slector.JPG
    gear slector.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 237
I don't think it's clutch release mechanism. I've tried different covers with the same results. Your riding along and then it jut goes to neutral . ? Maybe I didn't mention that. Clutch adjustment feels great. Maybe clutch plates ? I'll keep at it. Might just order new plates or just take a break for a while.

Cpkid, xjwmx is referring to the gear change components under the right cover (drain oil first!)... not the clutch actuator/adjustment mechanism on the left side. I would not throw any money at this before pulling the right cover. I may be doing this at some point myself because of a "fussy first".

TC

Thanks Teecat,

Now I understand. I'll go it now. I will let you know. I guess I'm bound to get dirty.
Thanks. I couldn't make out the picture.

I think that one dowel pin is normal and is what keeps you from shifting from 5th to 1st. The arm is way out of position, but I guess you had it like that.

It looks to me like the one dowel pin isn't normal sitting flush . I also found nut holding cluth assembly bolt very loose on disassembly . If the one dowel pin sitting flush is normal than maybe the clutch basket being loose could have caused my symptoms ?
And yes I think I pulled arm out like that. There are also wear marks in the inside behind clutch basket which could have been caused by basket wobbling due to being loose. My brother wondered how I loosened that bolt , but it was very very loose.
If that dowel pin needed replacement I have no clue how I'd do it short of tearing down engine. Also what's recommended procedure for tightening bolt holding cluthbasket? Many thanks to all once again.

Once again .... Never underestimate the cleverness of an idiot. Past owners were lacking.

Update . Reassembled and tightened down clutch bolt correctly, and it still came out of first into neutral . No clue now. Guess it will sit until I can figure this out. I still feel dowel pin being flush is abnormal.
Regards and any advice always appreciated,
CPKID

Yes while riding it's pops into neutral and rpms go up because it's not under load. It's not dowel pin. Look at eBay post I copied. Thanks Teecat 271887[/ATTACH]"]http://
e2a28972.jpg

Attachments

• e2a28972.jpg
    e2a28972.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 3
Oh well. I guess I'm splitting the cases. I bought new guts on eBay . I'm going to leave the heads alone. Can't have a bike that pops out of first gear . Looks like I'm keeping the bike now. I'll take pics. Might as well strip it to bare bones and redo the whole thing. I'll chip away at it over the winter. Like I said. With enough parts and time you can fix anything.

In your pic in post #6 your missing some parts. There is a 5 pointed star shaped plate that fits over all those pins and keeps the hook on the pins. Look in the Clymer book page 92. The parts you are missing are # 4,5,6.
Leo

Hi xsleo,

Thanks for reply. I have the star . With it on it still happens.
Regards ,
Cpkid

Not sure if I posted update .
I split casings and found ultimately a loose shift finger. I replaced the 70 transmission with a complete 72 tranny. Have not test , but I'm confident it's resolved. Hope attached video works.
Regards,
CPKID
th_2597391d.jpg

Back