Considering buying an XS750

Nolan_B

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Despite the bad rep of the early Yam triples, this bike is too pretty to dismiss. And the good aspects of the 750s (that comfortable 70 mph hum etc....) appeal to me. What would be a good price for a '77 2D in this condition? 19xxx miles.

Anything important to know about the early points XS750's? I know about the second gear issue, leaky petcocks etc... Anything else shady about the 750 triples? A friend of mine had an 850 special that treated him well.

Attachments

• 7502d.jpg
    7502d.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 267
  • 7502d2.jpg
    7502d2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 236
That is a clean looking bike. The gas tank is a coveted item for the cafe crowd. I bought my tank off a guy who hardtailed his 750.

I had a '78 XS750 Standard and absolutely loved it. The early XS750's did have some issues. I don't remember off hand what they were but there were several changes between '77 and '78. That shouldn't be a deal breaker. Given the opportunity, I would snatch that bike up in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
The XS750 did have second gear issues but if its not happening the damage is not done. And the famous "Yamaha second gear washer swap" can be done in about 20 minutes on the 750. Dont have to gut the engine like on an XS1100. The pre 1978 750s are not as powerfull as the 78 on up. Pre 78 ran mid 13s in the 1/4 mile and 78 on ran low 13s sometimes high 12s. (if that matters!) Pre 78 had points ignition.

Good bikes. Just gonna be suffering from age- which all old items and creatures do!

The XS750 did have second gear issues but if its not happening the damage is not done. And the famous "Yamaha second gear washer swap" can be done in about 20 minutes on the 750. Dont have to gut the engine like on an XS1100. The pre 1978 750s are not as powerfull as the 78 on up. Pre 78 ran mid 13s in the 1/4 mile and 78 on ran low 13s sometimes high 12s. (if that matters!) Pre 78 had points ignition.

Good bikes. Just gonna be suffering from age- which all old items and creatures do!

Doesn't the washer swap involve splitting the cases? On the XS1100, the countershaft can be removed through the oil pan. Could it be easier?

Leaky petcocks are hardly an issue. They can easily be rebuilt or replaced.

I've had people tell me they had an XS750 back in the day and it was a horrible bike. I haven't ever been given any list of faults. :shrug: It could just be that subsequent motorcycles were so much improved. IDK.

Make sure it doesn't slip out of first or second gear. :bike:

Washer swap on 750 only involves removing some LH side cover plates on the engine. NOTHING like whats involved on an XS1100. A pre 1978 XS750 will be more powerfull everywhere than the XS650- about the same power as the SOHC CB750 but no where near the power of a GS750. In 1978 the hp went from 63 to 70. Triple is a good bike.

See the cover plate behind the shift lever and under the chrome cover? Remove it (easy) and second gear is right there! Remove retaining clips- slide off second gear, swap washer and replace covers. The shaft may need light Dremeling to get second gear to slide off but eeeeeasy. My heart sank when I learned how involved it is to do the same to the mighty XS1100.

I had a 1978 xs750 that looked exactly like the one in the first post. I thought the 'café-ish' tail was cool and I liked the look of the gas tank. They look cool. The "Specials" not so much...

I bought it because I love my xs650 and heard that the 750 is a better highway / cruising bike. The 750 is SO SMOOTH. It just glides along at 75 mph, effortlessly. It was a very comfy bike, and great for a long distance commuter / touring bike.

It has a bit more power than the 650, but I wouldn't call it fast.

The bike feels like a big pig compared to the 650 though. Its not great for city driving, and not as good in the twisties as a 650.

Mine was a 1978, all original and beautiful condition. I even had the original owners manual, keys, tools, and decades of service history documents. I sold it a few months ago for $1800.

I bought three of them all at once in a package deal last year on a whim....sold one, kept the "parts bike" (has title but bad shape) and hardtailed the third one for a buddy.....I fell in love with them. the hardtail triple is an absolute blast to rip around on and I REALLY like the way it rides as far as weight transfer, center of gravity, and response. Of course I hopped it up a bit so it sounds just as mean as it looks. Been on the hunt for a donor non-titled bike so I can build up that third one I held on to.....

Back