Converting rear disc to drum

BlazinJzZz

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
How's it going every body?

I just have a couple if questions for all you knowledgeable folk!! I recently bought a tx750 rear end with swing arm brakes and front and rear 18" spokes. What all is necessary to get the brakes to work?

Disc-Conversion

I found this how to and was wanting to see if this is a good reference. I do have the tx750 rear swing arm that is made for the drum brakes. I was also able to get the linkage. I just wanting to see if I'll be needing to do any welding as I don't have a welder at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Lol i just went from drum to disc. You will have to move the return spring, and make a bracket for the brake light switch. I believe thats it, hope my answer helps.:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

The tutorial in the link is pretty comprehensive and simple to follow. It covers the problem of the spring and stop mounts from the Standard to Special frames.

I guess you will work out what frame you have.

I figured it covered pretty much every thing but just wanted to make sure. It always helps to look at things from a different set of eyes.

I have a 1980 special with mags. I have a set 18" spokes and swingarm from a tx750 that I wanted to use. I don't have a welder, but it doesn't seem to be a too complicated conversion. I know most people go from disc to drum, but its just too expensive to get Omar's kit. I figured this would be the easiest solution.

Others correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the TX750 rear drum brake is larger diameter than the XS650 rear drum - if you're looking for more rear braking capability than stock 650, it's an option.

Back