Cruizinimage quality?

Below the first link is the Float review done by 2M on the Cruzinimage 71-79 BS38 floats............... done 4 years ago

https://www.xs650.com/threads/cruzinimage-bs38-carburetor-floats-review.51657/#post-542964

Thing to take into consideration is this was done 4 years ago and there is no way to tell (cruzinimage) still sell bad floats ...........unless

.Was the bad floats were just a one off in a batch, or the whole batch was bad???................have they since got another batch and the quality is better???...............These questions cannot be answered by a 4 year old thread and only by some one buying a set and doing another comparison

This thread is on the quailty of the pistons and is ongoing from 2013 to 2017 and the last comment, in another sister thread linked in here, 2021
https://www.xs650.com/threads/cheap-piston-sets-on-ebay.26971/
Thanks for the input, Skull. 2M did an impressive amount of work to correct a crappy set of floats! I'm going to go ahead with an order. Will post a review when I receive them.

Thanks for the input, Skull. 2M did an impressive amount of work to correct a crappy set of floats! I'm going to go ahead with an order. Will post a review when I receive them.
If you use their BS34 kit, please review their NJ/JN combo too please. The pilot and main (that they do specify) are US spec, they do not specify what the NJ is and they come with a fixed clip needle and an adjustable needle. I'm curious to know how it compares to a stock (non US) 51x11/336-Y-0

If you use their BS34 kit, please review their NJ/JN combo too please. The pilot and main (that they do specify) are US spec, they do not specify what the NJ is and they come with a fixed clip needle and an adjustable needle. I'm curious to know how it compares to a stock (non US) 51x11/336-Y-0
Will do, JP... if I am to trust the image of the kit's contents, it appears to come with two needles... we'll see in due course. I am very interested to see how long the order will take to get to Montreal from Japan!

Yes, the Cruzinimage kit contains 2 generic adjustable needles, a Y265 and a Y267. The Y267 appears to be a copy of the '78-'79 5O2 while the Y265 looks to be a slightly longer version of an XS400 5Z1 .....

KitNeedles.jpg

The Y265 (XS400 5Z1 clone) is what interests me most. I've tried the 5Z1 in '78-'79 carbs and quite like it. It gives snappier off-the-line performance. So, it will be interesting to see what it does in some BS34 carbs. I have a refurbed set with the Y265 needles installed ready to try out. That's all I put in. I didn't install the kit needle jet (yet anyway). I will if need be, if the midrange is too lean, but this set is re-jetted for my mods (larger mains, pilots, and smaller air jets) so hopefully the bleed-over from them into the midrange will richen it up enough. Hopefully I can tune it just by changing the needle clip position if need be.

If you take a close look at the Y265 and 5Z1 taper, you can see it is fatter (leaner) near the bottom compared to the stock 5HX12. The difference is even more pronounced when compared to a '78-'79 5O2 .....

5Z1 Needle.jpg

But I think the sharper tip on the 5Z1 is what gives the snappier performance in the '78-'79 carbs .....

5Z1 NeedleTip.jpg

But I also encountered an issue I never have before when tuning the carbs with these needles - the upper midrange was actually too lean. Normally you get break-up and stumbling there as you increase the mains and you reach their size limit. You lean the needle setting a step to "fix" this. I got some actual flat spots, a lean indicator. I had the needles leaned a step as I normally do with the stock ones. I had to change that, but instead of going a full step richer, back to the stock #3 clip slot, I shimmed them with a 1/2 mm thick washer to achieve a 2.5 setting, mid way between the #3 and #2 clip slots. This seemed to do the trick and cure the flat spots but I still may try the #3 slot just to rule it out. That is, after all, what carb jetting for mods is all about, experimenting to find what's best.

So, I'm looking forward to seeing just how these Y265 needles work in the BS34 carbs.

Back